Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need help reading these plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Well obviously a spark plug is not a direct indication of afr, and with the tools and software available to us today, there's really no need, but, if you've been doing it for years, and know what to look for, a spark plug can be a useful diagnostic tool. I'm pretty sure that the OP has tuning software from what I remember, and was looking for an answer as he's not used to reading spark plugs on a daily basis as someone who has been turning wrenches and tuning automobiles for a living their whole life might. I'm guessing that he saw the tannish color and took it as an indication of a problem, and was relieved to hear that what he saw was totally normal. Also, it's been my experience that an engine doesn't need to be super rich to leave carbon behind...rich enough to notice negative fuel trims, but not rich enough to trip a P0172 or 175.

Now trying to read in iridium plug is a completely different story...
Pretty much exactly right. I use hptuners and have become pretty proficient with it, but reading plugs is something I don't have a lot of experience with. I know a grainy insulate means too much timing and sooth black is too rich, but not much beyond that. I appreciate everyone's insight.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
The only thing you can tell by looking at the tips of the insulators is if the heat range is OK.
You need lights and magnification to look down where the insulator meets the metal body of the plug to check AFR.

Read this and raise your level of consciousness:
http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html
I wondered why I've seen lighted magnifiers for reading plugs. Heck, I just saw 1 a couple of days ago. I thought it was for workin in dark / poor light / or those w/. bad eyesight. Now I know... it's to look down inside. I never knew more than a few things plugs told, not everything. In fact, I came across some info very recently.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
The blackened plugs that I've pulled out of numerous vehicles with faulty fuel regulators, bad O2 sensors, incorrect ignition timing, etc. would have to say different...I learned this about 25 years ago ...

Well obviously a spark plug is not a direct indication of afr, and with the tools and software available to us today, there's really no need, but, if you've been doing it for years, and know what to look for, a spark plug can be a useful diagnostic tool. I'm pretty sure that the OP has tuning software from what I remember, and was looking for an answer as he's not used to reading spark plugs on a daily basis as someone who has been turning wrenches and tuning automobiles for a living their whole life might. I'm guessing that he saw the tannish color and took it as an indication of a problem, and was relieved to hear that what he saw was totally normal. Also, it's been my experience that an engine doesn't need to be super rich to leave carbon behind...rich enough to notice negative fuel trims, but not rich enough to trip a P0172 or 175.
Now trying to read in iridium plug is a completely different story...
WOW! You're old!!!

The part about leaving carbon behind & (-) fuel trims is interesting.
You reminded me I left my old Iridium plugs at my tuner's.

He threw them out by now I'd think. It's been ~2 wks. since my tune.
I wanted to read my plugs in detail. Only one looked a teeny, tiny bit oily on threads. Any guesses? It was #7. I keep hearing of horror stories on #7, if there's 1 cyl. that'll be an issue on LS motors, it's that one. Anyway, what makes reading an Iridium plug different, other than their longer service life?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought when reading plugs, you must go WOT & then throw it neutral & kill the motor.. To get the reading. Is this still true?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:34 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Anyway, what makes reading an Iridium plug different, other than their longer service life?
LOL, I was speaking facetiously

Originally Posted by fastnblu
The part about leaving carbon behind & (-) fuel trims is interesting.
I've always thought so too...and I'm referring to factory applications btw, with factory replacement parts, so incorrect heat ranges are not the case. I used to see blackened plugs all day long on 88-91 4 cyl Camry's that were getting poor fuel economy and down on power with an occasional stalling condition. (Before OBDII and scanning software with fuel trim capability...used to use a lab scope to aid in diagnosis until I got used to the symptoms and "knew" the problem 90% of the time) The source of the problem was a bad coil (1 coil for four cylinders). At times the car would run perfectly, but as it heated up and resistance rose in the coil, it would get a weak spark and incomplete combution, and intermittently lose spark and stall. Then start right up and run good to decent again.

Originally Posted by mhotrodscooter
I thought when reading plugs, you must go WOT & then throw it neutral & kill the motor.. To get the reading. Is this still true?
That may be a procedure used in performance applications (I'm not familiar with it), but as a factory line technician (let me pound my chest a little and mention Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician btw ), I've always just removed and inspected them. For the most part, as mentioned, you inspect plugs as a diagnostic tool when something is amiss.

Last edited by budhayes3; 10-09-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Yeah, but it's not necessary to put it in neutral. Also, new plugs help.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Yeah, but it's not necessary to put it in neutral. Also, new plugs help.
Are we still looking for white with black spots or just tan in color?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

After a few seconds at WOT, with a new-ish plug that hasn't idled much, the nose of the insulator should be clean white. Not burnt white, just kind of new looking. At WOT, tan would be too cold of a plug.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

here you go. they are talking about tuning for n20, but you get the idea. https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...g-reading.html
Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are trying to tune WOT off the plugs this is the only way to go especially if you're trying to read the ground strap for timing.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

That's pretty interesting about the WOT pull plug reading, I've never heard of doing that...cool trick