Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need help removing fan from old water pump.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help removing fan from old water pump.

Hey guys, I replaced my old water pump some time ago but was never able to take the fan off the old pump. In the next week I'll be hitching a porsche 911 at the race track and the weather out here has been really hot. I don't want to chance it and want to put the clutch fan back on.

Those who have done that know that there is no way to properly grab the pulley tightly enough to remove the fan. The hayne's manual method was a complete joke. I tried putting a coat hanger through the holes in the pulley but snapped after so much torque.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

... i had to heat the nut up with a torch(not alot).... and use a strap wrench to hold the pulley....
Old 07-14-2010, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, Haynes manual way of doing it...didn't have a torch, but tried that method with heavy grit sandpaper surrounding the pulley. At any rate, the pumps off now, so the strap idea won't work at this point. I'm really hoping there are other ideas.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Teching In

I have the tool snap on sells and works great. Before I had that one time I pulled off the back cover off the waterpump and lodged a prybar inside the fins and that worked, I have also seen people use a hammer and chissel to break it free.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Pipe wrench jaws almost closed where the belt would ride. Shock the wrench that is turning the nut with a dead blow hammer or a single jack 4# hammer.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a tool that holds 2 of the bolts for the pulley, then a large wrench is used to turn the clutch off.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Teching In

you need to put the pump in a vise tight and put a strap wrench on the pully i used a 15in adj and a hammer,remember counter clock wise to take it off
Old 07-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

You can buy the tool, or make a simple version of your own.

I took a piece of angle iron, sawed off one of the webs so i had a flat bar. Then i drilled a hole the size of the shaft of the bolts that hold the pulley on. after a quick measurement i grinded a half-moon shape into the side of the bar so it'd clear the fan hub and contact one of the other bolts.

I removed one of the bolts and bolted the bar onto the pulley. Make sure you put it on the right way for whether you want to tighten or loosen the fan. Then put a big crescent wrench on there, use the bar as a counter-acting support and loosen it up. Reverse the procedure to install the fan.

i've used that little bar 3 times so far.

Also, i think either advance auto or autozone (or both) have a loan-a-tool program where you can borrow one of their's for an afternoon for free. i've heard they are a PITA to use so i just made the bar to do it.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a pipe wrench on the pulley works too... but the torch is whats going to free it up.... go buy a cheap map or propane torch.....
Old 07-15-2010, 09:21 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say pipe wrench too. and even a walmart propane torch would work. or a large vise and a wrench that fits the fan clutch.

Quick Reply: Need help removing fan from old water pump.