Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need Help With Tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Tires!!

On Friday I will be going to get some tires and wheels but only for the rear. So I need some advise on what to get. So please give me all your opinions.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

24's with Spinners !!!!!!

seriously though....what is it you are trying to achieve ??
Old 09-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Yelo
24's with Spinners !!!!!!

seriously though....what is it you are trying to achieve ??
trying to lower my 60ft and get in to the 13's even before the temp drops. I ran 14.53 last night.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Go with bfgoodrich comp t/a drag radials. They are a DOT slick and the come with the minimum to be street legal, basically after a couple good burnouts and some good runs there will be no more tread but tire is still good for awhile. I run them on my firebird at about 10 psi and they grip great, almost no tire spin on launch. They are a 0 treadwear which explains the grip. Most people go with the nitto's without doing some research, the nitto's are a 100 treadwear which is good if you are lookin for longlife drag radials that you can dirve with everyday and not have to replace every 6 months, but the down side is that you dont get the grip which all equates to getting better e/t's. You can have all the power in the world but if you cant get it to the ground it's a lost cause. i have about 25 or so runs on my set and they still have alot of meat on them, proably about another 15 runs in em. Just dont driev them when they get bald in the rain: ). They are 150 a piece. Another good tire is the newly released MT Dot slick which is bascially the same as the BFG's in composition and price. Basically if your lookin to lower you e/t go with a 0 treadwear.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Launching!

someone must have an opinion on what kind of tires to get for the track. I am really looking for what works. Drag radials, Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial. Something please..... give me some feed back let me know whats working for you.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fatbody99
Go with bfgoodrich comp t/a drag radials. They are a DOT slick and the come with the minimum to be street legal, basically after a couple good burnouts and some good runs there will be no more tread but tire is still good for awhile. I run them on my firebird at about 10 psi and they grip great, almost no tire spin on launch. They are a 0 treadwear which explains the grip. Most people go with the nitto's without doing some research, the nitto's are a 100 treadwear which is good if you are lookin for longlife drag radials that you can dirve with everyday and not have to replace every 6 months, but the down side is that you dont get the grip which all equates to getting better e/t's. You can have all the power in the world but if you cant get it to the ground it's a lost cause. i have about 25 or so runs on my set and they still have alot of meat on them, proably about another 15 runs in em. Just dont driev them when they get bald in the rain: ). They are 150 a piece. Another good tire is the newly released MT Dot slick which is bascially the same as the BFG's in composition and price. Basically if your lookin to lower you e/t go with a 0 treadwear.
thanks for the advise I think I will look into these will I be able to go to a tire store and pick these up or will I have to order them. and what kind of wheels do I get and what size?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

most of your tires stores will have to order them, some do carry them in stock but it is unusal. If you can fit it, go with a 15 inch rim it is a nice size for the track, not to big. That way you can go with a slightly wider tire. The widest you can go in a 16in tire in the BFG's is 255 in width but compare it to the 15 where you can go with a 325. so i would definalty say go with some 15's. Hopefully you wont have the problems us F-body guys have, which is there isnt enought clearance between the caliper and wheel for a 15 inch rim. I fyou do go with a 15 inch rim go a 15x10 inch rims with the 275/60/15 BFG tire. 275's should be enough width, i run 255's on mine. Summit sells the BFG's and i believe they carry the new mickey thompson DOT also.

another thing to remember is tire pressure! it is very important at the track. I usually start off at 15 psi and work down from there, i wouldnt go any lower than 8 psi. you want as much of that tire to touch the ground as possible. To much air and the sides will pick up and the middle woll only touch, to little and the middle will tuck in and you will only be running on the sides. it takes a few runs to determine the best tire pressure. just experiment.

good luck and post your results!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 09-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fatbody99
most of your tires stores will have to order them, some do carry them in stock but it is unusal. If you can fit it, go with a 15 inch rim it is a nice size for the track, not to big. That way you can go with a slightly wider tire. The widest you can go in a 16in tire in the BFG's is 255 in width but compare it to the 15 where you can go with a 325. so i would definalty say go with some 15's. Hopefully you wont have the problems us F-body guys have, which is there isnt enought clearance between the caliper and wheel for a 15 inch rim. I fyou do go with a 15 inch rim go a 15x10 inch rims with the 275/60/15 BFG tire. 275's should be enough width, i run 255's on mine. Summit sells the BFG's and i believe they carry the new mickey thompson DOT also.

another thing to remember is tire pressure! it is very important at the track. I usually start off at 15 psi and work down from there, i wouldnt go any lower than 8 psi. you want as much of that tire to touch the ground as possible. To much air and the sides will pick up and the middle woll only touch, to little and the middle will tuck in and you will only be running on the sides. it takes a few runs to determine the best tire pressure. just experiment.

good luck and post your results!!!!
man this really helps I will take your advice and will post my times hopefully I can hit my magic number 13.99 soon. I know this wont do it but it will get me closer.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

15 inch wheels wont fit on your truck, stay with 16's unless you want to modify the calipers.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Think of your future plans. If you plan on putting a converter i'd go with some 26x10.50x16 et streets. If your gonna stay w/ the stock converter, put some drag radials. BFG's are pretty good but toyo or nitto's would be fine for 2.0 60'. Either way, I'd go for a 26'' tire so you improve your 60' and also cross the line at a higher rpm which is where the power is. you don't wanna shift 3rd right before the line.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Tires!!