Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need Help With Tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, the fbodies have the same clearance issues with the calipers. ET streets are great if you want a tube style tire. I like the BFG's and the new MT Dot becasue they dont require tubes. You just mount them and go have fun. The Dot style are nice if you live kinda far from a track, which most do. You can put quite a bit of mile on the BFG's and M/T Dot radial, especially compared to an E/T street. They did a test on the new M/T Dot radial and the e/t streets and the radial gripped better then the e/t street. That just shows you how far tire design has come. I run an 1.9 60ft with virtually no tire spin on BFG's. There is also virtually no tire spin on launch either. If you have a good amount of horsepower and you were running a super high stall, like 3500 and higher and a set of low gears like 4.10's or 4.56's then you should proably step up to a slick rather than a dot but that isnt too many people. I am running a stock stall with 3.73 gears with minimual tire spin.

maybe it is a personal thing, but i really dont like nitto's to much. There is alot of hype about them and i havent seen any worth while results. They dont grip at the track, even once heated up and cleaned. I am very impressed with almost all of BFGoodrichs tires. My friend runs the traction t/a tire and he seemed to catch more grip than the nitto's. I personally just havent seen the results necessary for me to purchase a set of nitto's.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 12sec.5.3
Think of your future plans. If you plan on putting a converter i'd go with some 26x10.50x16 et streets. If your gonna stay w/ the stock converter, put some drag radials. BFG's are pretty good but toyo or nitto's would be fine for 2.0 60'. Either way, I'd go for a 26'' tire so you improve your 60' and also cross the line at a higher rpm which is where the power is. you don't wanna shift 3rd right before the line.

Old 09-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fatbody99
yea, the fbodies have the same clearance issues with the calipers. ET streets are great if you want a tube style tire. I like the BFG's and the new MT Dot becasue they dont require tubes. You just mount them and go have fun. The Dot style are nice if you live kinda far from a track, which most do. You can put quite a bit of mile on the BFG's and M/T Dot radial, especially compared to an E/T street. They did a test on the new M/T Dot radial and the e/t streets and the radial gripped better then the e/t street. That just shows you how far tire design has come. I run an 1.9 60ft with virtually no tire spin on BFG's. There is also virtually no tire spin on launch either. If you have a good amount of horsepower and you were running a super high stall, like 3500 and higher and a set of low gears like 4.10's or 4.56's then you should proably step up to a slick rather than a dot but that isnt too many people. I am running a stock stall with 3.73 gears with minimual tire spin.

maybe it is a personal thing, but i really dont like nitto's to much. There is alot of hype about them and i havent seen any worth while results. They dont grip at the track, even once heated up and cleaned. I am very impressed with almost all of BFGoodrichs tires. My friend runs the traction t/a tire and he seemed to catch more grip than the nitto's. I personally just havent seen the results necessary for me to purchase a set of nitto's.
Well I was just told that by going with a different height tire than whats on the front I will have a problem breaking because the ABS will kick in and may cause a problem. Is this true or what? Also I think I want to stay with the stock wheels, only because I can get a set for free. What will fit on these? I was also looking at the Indy 500 tires are these worth a **** for racing?
Old 09-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by superchargedchevy02
Well I was just told that by going with a different height tire than whats on the front I will have a problem breaking because the ABS will kick in and may cause a problem. Is this true or what? Also I think I want to stay with the stock wheels, only because I can get a set for free. What will fit on these? I was also looking at the Indy 500 tires are these worth a **** for racing?
Anybody????? I need all the help I can get.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

There should be enough info here to help you decide. Don't worry about the different tire height, people do that all the time and I've never heard about any probs. With the mods you have, it doesn't seem like you need any special tires......do you have problems spinning on the track? What is your 60'?
Old 09-25-2004, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 12sec.5.3
There should be enough info here to help you decide. Don't worry about the different tire height, people do that all the time and I've never heard about any probs. With the mods you have, it doesn't seem like you need any special tires......do you have problems spinning on the track? What is your 60'?
my 60 ft is 2.2 I spin pretty far down the track. What have you guys heard about the Yokohama AVS ES100 here is what they look like http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...7&cs=245&rd=16
Old 09-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

that is still a 280 treadwear. That is a little to hard if you looking to drop your times. The tread design does nothing for traction on the track. It is all about composition and hardness. find a tire with at nothing more than 100 treadwear. That will help. The nittos are a 100 treadwear, but again if this tire is for limited street use and mostly track use, go for a DOT radial or a slick. Yet another brand that sells radial Dots and slick is M&H, they make a fairly wide tire for a 16 inch rim, a 275 to be exact in the DOT radial. Definaly stay with a low treadwear for better track times.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fatbody99
that is still a 280 treadwear. That is a little to hard if you looking to drop your times. The tread design does nothing for traction on the track. It is all about composition and hardness. find a tire with at nothing more than 100 treadwear. That will help. The nittos are a 100 treadwear, but again if this tire is for limited street use and mostly track use, go for a DOT radial or a slick. Yet another brand that sells radial Dots and slick is M&H, they make a fairly wide tire for a 16 inch rim, a 275 to be exact in the DOT radial. Definaly stay with a low treadwear for better track times.
Cool thanks for all your help.