Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need help tweaking predator tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help tweaking predator tuning

I made the switch last night from hypertech to predator. While I truly enjoy now staying pinned back to the seat through the shifts the basic tune just dosen't seem nearly as agressive as it should be. I've adjusted the air/fuel down to -4% and still show mostly 0.00 on the Ltrims. I've also advanced the timing +4% and show mostly 0.00 of knock retard with only one quick little 0.90 in there but no ping at all. If I could just get the kick in the pants that I had with the hpp3 along with the torque management elimination I now have I'd be good to go. Oh and yes I've already raised the shift points etc.

So where should I set this thing to make it "raise hell" as advertised?

Thanks for any suggestions...
Old 05-17-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Need help tweaking predator tuning

i just set the shift time to -25% on all gears, shift pressure +25% all gears, set the shift points to 5900rpm, and played with the timing alittle and mine ran great. BIG difference from the hypertech. what do you mean by kick in the pants from the hypertech anyway?
Old 05-17-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I mean that before when I pressed on the gas the response was snappy and it would get up and go. Maybe I just need to let the Pred learn for a few days or something, but so far when I mash on it it just goes bluuh and feels like I'm pulling a heavy trailer or something. This afternoon I set the timing all the way to +10 and adjusted the PE to -3 so we'll see what happens. A buddy at work has a g-tech, I'll try to barrow it tomorrow at lunch for a run or two.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thats strange about your trucks response to the Predator. I have made NO changes to the timing or fuel enrichment on my truck BUT i have changed the redline to 5890 in all gears, shift pressure to +25% and time to -25%.

When I jab the gas my truck launches hard and fast, no bogging or slow reaction. Its amazing how much an improvement the Predator has made over my STOCK setup.

Maybe you should try my above settings and reload the diablo program. Its possible that playing with the fuel enrichment and/or timing has caused some problems. Like I said try just installing the settings I did with the base tune WITHOUT adjustments to the fuel and/or timing.
See what it does.

Hopefully you can get your truck dialed in.

Old 05-18-2003, 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to say it did feel a little stronger this morning coming into work with the timing maxed out. I guess going from hpp3 to stock, to Predator, and tweaking it all in one day must have put the poor ecm in shock. I'll just give it a few days to relearn and see if it does better.

Thanks for the advice fellas. Anyone else using the predator please feel free to post your power enrichment and timing settings so we can all get an idea of what these things like to run best at.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:37 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Can you check the A/F ratio with the predator?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't see it on there. I've been going by the L-trims and the 02's readings.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

I would suggest trying it with the stock MAF. I believe that with proper tuning the recalibrated GMAF sensors actually hurt performace.

Your LTFT's arent negative, so do you think your stumble is a lean condition? Try your stock MAF and see what your LTFTs would be.

Old 05-18-2003, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Hey JWRENCH, where in Clarksville are you at? What color is your truck? Would I notice if I saw it, or is it pretty much stock appearing?

I live in Clarksville also, so I was just wondering.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually hohl it seems like it's still on the rich side to me. It dosen't stumble and go, it just boggs and I have to give it like 30% throttle to leave a traffic light where I used to give it maybe 15%. The manual states for a rich condition you set it more negative to correct it, but I'm starting to wonder if it's just *** backwards and I've actually been adjusting it more and more rich. Anyway I'm gonna take MarineBlue03GMC's advice and set The PE and Timing both to zero for a few days and see if it'll come around for me. The MAF has worked great for me up till now with the hpp3 but if this dosen't work I'll try pulling it too.

Unbelievable, I live over behind K-mart on Wilma Flintstone blvd. The trucks a white ex.cab, nothing fancy on the outside yet. (Thanks to my loving wife)

Quick Reply: Need help tweaking predator tuning