Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need a little help on rebuilding my Lq4

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help on rebuilding my Lq4

I have a 2001 lq4 in my tahoe..has about 100k on it right now but its leaking oil like crazy. The rear main seal is new since the new tranny, so its somethign else in the rear. In the spring I want to pull it since im doing a cam anyway, so ill freshen it up while im at it.

What do i need for gaskets? I plan on keeping my oil pump and timing chain as of right now. Im going to need a cam, pushrods, and valve springs. it has 317 heads on it right now. I will probably get them cleaned up and maybe ported a bit.

What is my lq4 considered? looking at stuff on texas-speed.com they list everything in ls1, ls2, ls6 etc..

oil pan gasket
head gaskets
valley cover gasket
timing chain cover gasket
rear cover gasket?
what other gaskets?

is it worth pulling the pistons and such and replacing them? the motor runs great as it is, just the leaking oil and there is a slight knock at times. I dont really want to have to replace pistons and connecting rods if its not really worth it. Its my daily driver. I figured with a stock bottom end, tr228 cam, 1218? pac springs, and my headers and converter it should keep my happy for a while..

let me know what you think, and anything else i should replace while i have it pulled
Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could put new lifters and trays in since you'll have the heads off anyway.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't need to replace the pistons if there isn't anything wrong with them...take a look at the condition of the cylinders, maybe just do a mild hone and new rings if necessary. New lifters and trays are a great idea since the heads will be off, and you can get a cam and head swap kit that will have the top and front gaskets, then get the rear and oil pan gaskets separately. MrGoodwrench3 posted that the rear cover kit, which is a new cover, with seal installed, and the cover to block gasket, is pretty cheap. There is an oil diverter barbell that is behind the rear cover that is only a few bucks also...and a new red oil pump o-ring. TSP or SDPC should be able to hook you up with the gaskets that you need...oh yea, I'd do intake gaskets also to prevent any vacuum leaks...(if the head/cam kit doesn't come with them)
Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd reuse the valve cover gaskets unless they just come with a kit. +1 on not needing pistons unless they are just bad. I'm putting one back together with original pistons. Just put new rings and bearings in it.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I would run a hone down the cylinders, new rings, double check all the bearings while you have the bottom end apart.

Absolutely replace the intake gaskets while it is apart, have had many leak at work.

ALSO you need NEW head bolts and a torque angle meter to reinstall the heads.

Suggest new o-rings for the coolant cross over pipes.

I would do a new rear cover if you are thinking that is where your leak is.

Like everbody said new lifters and trays are a good idea
Old 11-26-2010, 09:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08k1500_3
ALSO you need NEW head bolts and a torque angle meter to reinstall the heads.
You can get by without a torque angle meter if you paint a mark on the bolt heads and make sure that the mark is 90* over from where you started Unless of course you use ARP head bolts which are re-useable, and bolt down in 3 passes, the last being 75 lb/ft IIRC