Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

need to make exhaust QUIETER than stock.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to make exhaust QUIETER than stock.

Guys, I need my exhaust even more quite than a stock truck. Even quiter than a NNBS. My truck is a 01 Tahoe. I am all for performance, but Im more grown and mature. Really dont want people looking to see where the noise is coming from after I floor it while getting out of my own way.

Truck will also be used for work. But it is my daily driver. I am planing to put a TVS 1900 supercharger on it. So I need a nice free flowing exhaust or a exhaust that will be able to handle 550-600 rwhp.

My plans go like this: Long tube headers with 3" collectors, both will have 2 hi flow cat converters followed by a resonator after each cat converter... into a custom Wye pipe to 3.5" single pipe, to a long case muffler, with a resonator on the single pipe as well after the muffler. exits in the stock location.

how well would this setup flow? I take it it be extremely quite even at WOT? longtubes, 2 cat converters, 3 resonators, and 1 muffler (maybe 2)

My original plans were to run a corsa touring exhaust, but I think I want it completely quite now. So thats what I came up with. Let me know experts.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 12-26-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

try a dual exhaust with resonators, x-pipe, stock ss muffler or something similar. Or a big body magnaflow with some resonators...that way when you punch it you still get a little growl but not loud. Ive matured enough that i want it quiet in the cab but as far as outside goes i could care less, as long as it sounds good im okay with loud
Old 12-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't see the point of resonaters, cats and a huge muffler.. Y not do a set of high flow cats, along with a big dual in, single out muffler.. Install a pair of electric cut outs after the converters for when you want it loud... I would do a 4 inch over the 3 if you truly plan to make that kinda of HP. 550 hp is going to be hard to mask, no matter what you put on for exhaust.. I hope you plan to add atleast a cam, to achieve that kinda wheel hp with the 5.3 in a 4wd app..
Old 12-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I made a similar thread about this last week, https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=454066
Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

I helped put 4 mufflers under a friends 454 truck back in the day before 3 inch exhaust was cheap or even plentifull. We used 2 1/2 Y pipes off the headers into 2" pipe then into 24" glasspacks with turn downs to help package this dumb *** system. The truck was slammed by early 90's standards, and we wanted to tuck everything up high so he could cross speed bumps.

In the end the 454 which was warmed up nicely sounded like a low comp 350 through glasspacks, but it never really growled like they are known to do becouse of the extra mufllers vs exhaust volume. Then again magnaflows work better, and resonators would help to. Also over the axle cuts down noise.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can want for all in the world but a 500hp vehicle that is quieter than stock? seriously? Seems contrary to me.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

why in the hell would you want it quieter than stock, thats crazy
Old 12-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Where's the Beef?

You won't be able to hide the whistle
Old 12-27-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, it just seems to amaze me how a cadillac CTS V can have over 500hp and be quite while being stock! I really dont think its out of reach at all. GM exhaust systems suck, and leave alot to be desired. Look at a German car for instance; I just did the 02 sensors on a S80 volvo, and had to remove the entire exhaust to change the sensors (sucked).... but what a well designed setup, and its a twin turbo engine. (exhaust wise) it had 2 cats, muffler, resonators, but OMG its a quite setup.

I do agree, the TVS 1900 is going to make some noise, but I can deal with that. I just want to hear the tires, and the engine belts thats all. Well I still have a lot to plan still. I may still do the opposite and put Corsa Sport on it, if I get the urge. But Im older, like I said... I was told just to stick a Corsa Touring on it, and maybe a resonator.

As long as its completely, or not noiceable quite under 3K rpm.. Still unsure, thats why I need some ideas.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

You might want to check out a Flo Pro HD big oval muffler for you system. But I agree with the other guys, having it be super quiet and produce 550 rwhp is going to be a challenge.

Quick Reply: need to make exhaust QUIETER than stock.