Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need more power...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more power...

I have a 5.3l tahoe... I have a 24" magnaflow, K&N drop in filter with air raid intake tube (i could prbably get an AEM brute force or K&N FIPK but that would only render me maybe another 1 or 2 actual ponies) and a Black Bear tune (pretty agressive)

Within the next 12 month i will have a set of LT headers, probably the AEM Brute Forces...

but what else can a guy do? I need more power damnit... im not limited to blt ons but i am limited by money. A $2000-$5000 forced induction setup isnt really in the cards for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would like to say gears, they wont add more power buy let you feel it better... but you probably being 4x4 you would have to do it twice = Big Ouch. Best bet and I know you dont want to hear it is NOS..... on a budget you cant beat it!

Or you can throw away close to 10G's and be were I am at when it could have be done MUCH cheaper with a progressively controlled 125 shot.

I said no spray...everyone says no spray but you always come back to it when you want more POWER!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

get some long tubes cat-back and a tune
Old 03-21-2009, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by terravast4
get some long tubes cat-back and a tune
yo dude, i read your siggy.... lots of work.... lots of power, especially for a pickup with little weight in the rear.

Anyways, thats the kind of **** i am talking about, over 400 at the wheels is exactly what i am looking for haha. I am going to look into all the things you have into your motor because that is where i am at... obviously you have a lot of chedder into your truck, mind if i ask about where you are at into the motor (not including the rims and stereo and all that junk)
Old 03-21-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your going to stay NA a torque r cam will help to get that heavy truck moving. Cam and springs will only be 500 ~ 600$. Maybe a stall too.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you do all your own work or have someone who can do it for you cheap..... 3200 stall if NA....2600 stall if you plan to go FI. Get the LT and dont waste money on another intake. Cam and tune it should be around 350rwhp.... Alot more time and money than a good nitrous system but the best thing about nitrous is you dont loose gas milage. Just from experience LSX motor can handle some juice.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What gears do you have now? After the exhaust that you mentioned, I'd do a nice cam, verter, and gears combo. But I'd build the trans up first to handle the ponies, get a shift kit, servos, and a nice big trans cooler to start. Eventually do a set of heads too
Old 03-21-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Just like Budhayes says if your goal is close to 400 hp at the tires you also need to consder supporting mods like the rear end and trans. I think you need to figure out what your budget is, i don't think any of us did this all in one shot. Make short term goals and knock them out one at a time or a couple at a time then save more cash.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Make short term goals and knock them out one at a time or a couple at a time then save more cash.[/QUOTE]

^^^ This is exactly how I approached all of my mods/goals.
I'm just wondering and waiting for when it will end! There always seems to be another mod to try.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

yes, i am trying to get the truck done in phases.... its going to be a slow road unfortunatly but i cant kick the bug, i need more power, every time i feel my truck gain a little, it makes me want to gain a LOT more...

anyways, you all know where i am at with my mods as it stands, what should be in round two? The plan WAS to get the LT's and high flow cat... then maybe after that was going to be a cam... I REALLY want to drop a 4l80e into this thing.

Quick Reply: Need more power...