Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need opinions on oil pressure changing, sludge

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need opinions on oil pressure changing, sludge

I have a 2000 silverado 1500 4x4 with the 5.3l motor and about 150,000 miles on it.

since about 3 years ago it has always had a little coolant loss, low coolant light comes on about every 2-3 months and takes about 1/4 to 1/2 gallon to fill back up. I also have always changed the oil as soon as the change oil light comes on and the old oil has always looked pretty clean coming out.

about 3 weeks ago i noticed that my oil pressure is different. it used to be around 40 all the time but now all of a sudden it runs around 60 constantly.
I also had bad lifter taps when cold untill I switched to 5w30 about 6 months ago, which eliminated the lifter tap up untill about a month ago. the tap is back but not as bad as before. taps for about 10-15 seconds during a cold start only.

But the other day the change oil light came on, so i changed the oil but when I removed the drain plug from the oil pan there was a clump of real pasty sludge about 1.5 inches long stuck to the drain plug when I pulled it out. Really surprised me because I have NEVER seen ANY sludge come out of the motor. Removing my oil filter exposed MORE sludge (pic below)

My question is, what would cause this? could it have to do with a leaky head gasket or something else? I have never seen any coolant/water in the oil but I know you dont always see it. ANY help/ideas would be highly appretiated!

Last edited by brandon_6667; 11-22-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run a quart of trans fluid in the crank case for 1-2 tanks of fuel before your next oil change. This will clear up a lot or all of your sludge and should quieten down your lifters.

That just looks like carbon build up...and regular sludge...coolant in your oil is usually a light brown or white snot textured substance.

You would also have this same substance on your filler cap....its actually emulsified oil...

I have used the Trans fluid trick on many engines with excellent results...
Old 06-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jordan927
run a quart of trans fluid in the crank case for 1-2 tanks of fuel before your next oil change. This will clear up a lot or all of your sludge and should quieten down your lifters.

That just looks like carbon build up...and regular sludge...coolant in your oil is usually a light brown or white snot textured substance.

You would also have this same substance on your filler cap....its actually emulsified oil...

I have used the Trans fluid trick on many engines with excellent results...
I have been thinking about trying the ATF trick but it really worries me that there was ABSOLUTLEY no sludge anywhere during the last oil change and now its everywhere. what would cause it to appear all of a sudden?

also, I know what oil looks/smells like when it has alot of coolant in it but some people are telling me that if the coolant leak is small that the oil will mostly look normal.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

yeah...if it smells like coolant you should have a leak down test done... Sometimes you can get a leak and there will be little to no sign...thats usually at the start of the issue.

Get a leak down test done, and in the mean time keep a close eye on the oil. if even the slightest snot starts to form....stop driving it. Coolant will eat your bearings...turns a 1200-1500 dollar job(both head gaskets) into 3-5000 dollars very quickly.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I'd pull the valve covers and take a look...I wonder if there's coolant running through there cleaning the sludge off of the top end and circulating it through the crank case...
Old 06-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Angry

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'd pull the valve covers and take a look...I wonder if there's coolant running through there cleaning the sludge off of the top end and circulating it through the crank case...

i'll do that. Is it a regular gasket or a rubber/o-ring type? (moving next week so still have to drive it one last time)

I checked the oil after running it to runnning temp and there was tiny black sludge deposits on the dip stick as well. the oil on the dipstick looked and smelled fine but when I took the oil filler cap off there was some steam coming out and it smells like dexcool. the oil filler cap has a ton of condensation on it too and the oil filler tube is milky looking inside so im pretty sure its a head or head gasket now. what goes out more common on these? the heads themselves or just the gaskets?

I would love to just find a low mileage 6.0 and do a swap but dont thing I can afford it right now. and with my current salary it took me over a damn year to do the 14bolt swap when the 10bolt blew and i just got it done about 5-6 months ago!

oh well, its always something. at least i always have stuff to work on...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brandon_6667
i'll do that. Is it a regular gasket or a rubber/o-ring type? (moving next week so still have to drive it one last time)

I checked the oil after running it to runnning temp and there was tiny black sludge deposits on the dip stick as well. the oil on the dipstick looked and smelled fine but when I took the oil filler cap off there was some steam coming out and it smells like dexcool. the oil filler cap has a ton of condensation on it too and the oil filler tube is milky looking inside so im pretty sure its a head or head gasket now. what goes out more common on these? the heads themselves or just the gaskets?

I would love to just find a low mileage 6.0 and do a swap but dont thing I can afford it right now. and with my current salary it took me over a damn year to do the 14bolt swap when the 10bolt blew and i just got it done about 5-6 months ago!

oh well, its always something. at least i always have stuff to work on...
Yup snot on the filler tube is a sure sign of a toasted head gasket...combined with the other symptoms.
It will cost less to do a 6.0L swap than to do a head job likely. Average going price on a low mileage 6.0 here is around the 1000 dollar area...head job(both heads) is about 1500.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jordan927
Yup snot on the filler tube is a sure sign of a toasted head gasket...combined with the other symptoms.
It will cost less to do a 6.0L swap than to do a head job likely. Average going price on a low mileage 6.0 here is around the 1000 dollar area...head job(both heads) is about 1500.
I found someone with a 2002 escalade with 83K miles and a 6.0
he said he could sell it to me for around $1250 (the motor)
sound like a good/decent deal? other shops I called quoted me at around $1100 but dont know the mileage

Last edited by brandon_6667; 06-17-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:38 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell yeah thats a good deal! Escalade should be an LQ9!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Lq9 is a better motor eh? I'm gonna buy it!

Quick Reply: Need opinions on oil pressure changing, sludge