Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

need powerdyne help/info

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need powerdyne help/info

Hey, well I found a Powerdyne supercharger for my truck. Its a low mileage/slightly used kit and it comes with everything. I talked him down to $1220 shipped to my door. It comes with a 11lb pulley also. My question is does anyone know what tuner it comes with and could I just buy a diablo programmer and tune it because powerdyne said a new programmer from them would cost $500. Anyways do you guys think I should jusp on this deal? What kinds of power would I be putting out? Any info will help. thanks.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive heard mostly negative things about the powerdyne. a member on silveradoss.com had one of those, and he couldnt even get close to the claimed amount of boost. he returned it.

of course the 5.3 will react to it differently. either way, that sounds like a good deal for 1200 dollars. even if it isnt the greatest of s/c's , it will still make you go faster regardless, and for 1200 dollars, i would have probably jumped on that.

as far as the tuning goes, i dont know. i would call up one of the mail order tune guys, and have them do one.

todd
Old 05-02-2005, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

had one, hope you have better luck than i dd, i still have the rebuilt headunit on my closet floor, i was too disgusted with the problems i had to put it back in, bad fit, belt squeel over 4k rpm i couldn't get rid of, and it locked up within 6 months and less than 15k milles, left me stranded on the highway in vermont in the middle of winter with a trailer with two sleds on it, also pumped little pieces of impeller into the motor, i ended up with alot of blowby a few weeks later end ended up putting a new motor in it, so i saved up and got a radix instead.

but back to your question, the program from them is for the original pulley, 6lb i think, so to use the one you got you will have to get a custom tune, plus i don't think the fuel system willl be enough to run it safely with the 11lb pulley since all they provide is a return line regulator to up your fuel pressure.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Tribe Shaman

as you can see by my sig, and had no problems from it with over 20500 miles on it.
I'm running the 2.50 pulley, rated for 11 psi.

log on to power this link ( http://www.powerdyne.com/manuals/00-02_chevy-gmc_pickup-suv.pdf ) for the install instructions.

go and pick up a set of 42 lbs injectors.
throw the hand held tuner away, and use the money for a custom tune.
the belt you will need is a 109 gates gator back belt, by pass the idler pulley next to the alternator and it will fit perfectly.
take some duct tape and tape over the front shock stud to keep from poking a hole in to your
flow pipe from the air box to the supercharger.
toss the bypass valve, it only works with 6 psi and less, any thing more and it opens under boost causing you to lose pressure.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a Powerdyne on my 5.3 Tahoe (2002) Belt squealed like a pig over 4500rpm. You lose all your boost after 4500 due to slippage then you have to wait until you shift to 2nd and get back or 3000rpm to feel it again. I heard about the gator back belt after I gave up on the Powerdyne, so I don't know if would help the slipping. You need a custom tune of some kind or the computer is gonna read too much air coming in and give you the "Low Engine Power" light on the dash and bring you back to idle, and you wont get over 15mph after that even if you floor it, it just doesn't respond. You have to shut off the truck, wait 10 seconds and restart. Then if you produce any boost, by going over 3000 rpm, same thing happens. The custom tune tells the computer to ignore the extra air and compensate with more gas which = more power. The unit I had had a 9# pulley and I was told an 11# would do motor damage. I would contact Powerdyne directly to make sure. The Powerdyne is a fun entry level S/C for $1200; I might do it again on a smaller truck. Like another guy posted earlier save up and get a Radix, I did. It goes on next week. Westers Garage (find them online) does tunes and most places that have a dyno can do it as well. Diablo sport seemd like a cookie cutter tune such as Hypertech and Superchips. If you want a "Custon" tune you need to shell out the $$ at a place that specializes in just that. My two cents.
Chris
Chris
Old 05-03-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

what if I just run the 6lb pulley, would that be better/safer?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

be safer, still have to get the tune, personally from my experance, i think it would be better if you threw the powerdyne in the paper or on ebay and saved up for a radix, think you would be happier, i was, far better kit and better performance gains
Old 05-03-2005, 01:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mjgjr72
i still have the rebuilt headunit on my closet floor, i was too disgusted with the problems i had to put it back in,
So can I have it then and try my luck with it.

(Ill even pay for shipping)