Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

I have a 95 Z28 right now and Iam thinking about selling that and buying a 2000 1500 silverado Z71 with i atleast a 6'' lift. The reason I am getting this would mainly be for ski trips and I was wondering, how do trucks do on the snow and ice? It seems like they would be fine but with it being a truck and now having so much weight in the back would it be better to look for an SUV?? thanks
Old 08-22-2004, 02:20 AM
Teching In

TTT anyone?
Old 08-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Launching!

I am pretty sure that your Z28 handles much better in the snow and ice than the truck or any SUV. In the 80's Chevrolet took a Corvette to alaska and entered it in a race (the vette was stock) and raced it against all these 4X4 SUV's and trucks and the vette won. Because the trucks were sliding all over the place and the vette with the traction control was able to just drive with out any problems. Don't get me wrong trucks are great for just about anything. But I know when it snows here I drive the GTP and not the truck. The reason I know about this story is because my dad was with Chevrolet for 40 years before he died and he told me the story.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

You can't do any better than a 4WD truck, unless you have a snow cat. It's what CalTrans uses in the Sierra passes (with chains all around), and I've been passed by them in a blizzard with them doing at least 40 MPH in moderately deep snow.
Modern F-bodies are horrible in the snow. It's a function of available tires, the fact that you can hardly put chains on, and rear wheel drive. My a**hole has never been puckered so tight as when I had to drive my wife's Camaro in the snow. I'd never attempt it in the Z without a gun pointed at my head.
If you don't lift the truck, it has lower CG than an equivalent SUV, lower weight, etc. Get the SUV if you need the interior room. Otherwise, a truck is the superior choice.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
You can't do any better than a 4WD truck, unless you have a snow cat. It's what CalTrans uses in the Sierra passes (with chains all around), and I've been passed by them in a blizzard with them doing at least 40 MPH in moderately deep snow.
Modern F-bodies are horrible in the snow. It's a function of available tires, the fact that you can hardly put chains on, and rear wheel drive. My a**hole has never been puckered so tight as when I had to drive my wife's Camaro in the snow. I'd never attempt it in the Z without a gun pointed at my head.
If you don't lift the truck, it has lower CG than an equivalent SUV, lower weight, etc. Get the SUV if you need the interior room. Otherwise, a truck is the superior choice.
O kay.....
Old 08-22-2004, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

No kick intended. If you've driven a 2 WD picktruck with no positraction and nothing in the bed, all it wants to do is spin, so I can see your point.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ

No kick intended. If you've driven a 2 WD picktruck with no positraction and nothing in the bed, all it wants to do is spin, so I can see your point.
LOL
Old 08-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Well since I dont have traction control, I am hopefully gonna go with a truck, for around 15-17k what would you guys recommend, i was thinking a 00-01 Z71 1500.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

$5K in rebates right now on 04s (not sure, but you may need to finance with GMAC for this amount), plus this late in the year you should get a price close to invoice, minus rebates. I don't need a new truck to replace my '97 2500HD, but I'm thinking of it anyway. Makes new worth considering. Even if you go used, factor that into the price.

I also don't think you could go wrong with a used one, providing you know the history, and the truck has been taken care of. I wouldn't limit it to Z71s though, in case you find a base 4WD in great shape.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:52 AM
Launching!

well he said a z71 which means 4x4.....it will go anywhere in 4x4........on a side note i drove mine in 8 inches in snow last yr and only putt it n 4x4 once going a steep hill after i got stuck....oh that lift really isnt going to help in snow....usually makes them worse due to the added top heavy ness cuasing them to get loosw and those larger tires not cutting snow and ice as good.....saw many lifted trucks having to be pulled out by regular ones or being stuck till the snow melts