Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need some help finding a squeak.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help finding a squeak.

So heres the deal about two weeks ago a small noise appeared the best i can describe it sounds like a belt squeal/squeak. The noise only becomes audible after about ten min driving or when the truck gets warmed up its loudest at idle and/or low speed and goes away at about 30-40mph it does get progressivly louder the more i drive but as soon as i get up to speed it seems to go away.

All guages read good. voltage is pretty sturdy and the AC works great thought it might have been the compresser, all fluids are good.

I can drive about 10-15 mins before the noise even starts and if the trucks sits off for say 30 min the noise goes away but shortly will be there again.

Now i have had all belts and pullies in the front checked/changed and even did the metal bar to the ear to get an idea of its location but it does not seem to come from anywhere near the front.

So with the front of the engine checked we moved to where the noise was loudest which seemed to be the trans so i took it to the shop that built the trans and right off the bat they thought it was the stall or possible the trans pump during there investigation they hoisted the truck up and unhooked the trans and stall only to have the noise still there.

So now i have no idea what to do i gotta appointment to get it looked at again this Saturday but any ideas would be great and if you need more details just ask.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

any ideas
Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the alternator. Even if the voltage is good it could warning you.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestion but i really cant see how it would be the alt. when we traced the squeak to the area of the lower far back of motor or front of trans.

And the alt, is one of the first things we ruled out.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had a 2000 tahoe limited that had a squeak behind the engine. More like a whine than a squeak. It was the input shaft bearing in the transmission. I got the tranny rebuilt and they found a bad roller bearing and worn clutches/bands.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chevytruckguy
I had a 2000 tahoe limited that had a squeak behind the engine. More like a whine than a squeak. It was the input shaft bearing in the transmission. I got the tranny rebuilt and they found a bad roller bearing and worn clutches/bands.

Thats another thing we checked we pulled the trans and started the motor thinking if it was a trans issue the noise wouldnt be there but the noise was still there without the trans mated to the motor.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

one thing i can think of is maybe a cracked flywheel but with the trans out we manually spun the flywheel and loked for any signs of a crack but didnt see anything. but we could of missed it if it was hard to spot.

Can anybody else think of what may go bad or cuase a noise in lower far back of the motor and it not have to do with the trans.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdawg04 4.8
Thanks for the suggestion but i really cant see how it would be the alt. when we traced the squeak to the area of the lower far back of motor or front of trans.

And the alt, is one of the first things we ruled out.
HA. sorry. That's what i get for skimming.

I had a similar problem in my blazer. It would do it when I started it tho. I got under it and had someone start it and couldn't see the flywheel hitting anything, and knew the engine was fine.
Thought it was probably the Trans Pump. about a month later the tranny went out.
So it very well could have been the pump. Don't have it laying around any more to crack open and look tho.
Best of luck.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by viciousknid
HA. sorry. That's what i get for skimming.

I had a similar problem in my blazer. It would do it when I started it tho. I got under it and had someone start it and couldn't see the flywheel hitting anything, and knew the engine was fine.
Thought it was probably the Trans Pump. about a month later the tranny went out.
So it very well could have been the pump. Don't have it laying around any more to crack open and look tho.
Best of luck.
No problem and at this put id take just about any suggestions.

If it was only a trans issue seeing as its still under warranty. Maybe its just time to start looking for an LQ4/LQ9. I can see me spending alot of time and money tracking and fixing this problem.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive come to the conclusion that its most liekly a crank bearing, Ill drive her until i get a 6.0 for her.