Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need some help with LS1 Edit...BigTex, Parish?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with LS1 Edit...BigTex, Parish?

I'm finally able to program my PCM and have questions about what settings to change for shifting and TCC lock-up. I'm having problems with my Yank 3000 locking up and un-locking while cruising. Colonel recommended that I keep my converter unlocked til 4th gear. What do you guys think? Also I have know idea on how to do this so if you could please be as specific as possible. I don't know if it's normal or not but my truck will stumble hard if my converter is locked under 2500 RPM's, how would I go about adjusting lock-up points, is this even possible? Isn't there a way to change the time it takes to shift? If there are any things that I might also want to change any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

you can change your shift speeds accordingly under shift speed then click the normal mode shift speed tab. you will see a table with MPH numbers for a corresponding throttle postition and what shift is occuring at that time. this is where most of your up/down shift adjustments will be made. if you want to make it a bit more sensitive across the board on downshifts for example, you could highlight the downshift cells, click "use selected cells only", and either add a couple of MPH or multiply by like 103-5% and try it. if you don't like it, just change it back. you can do similar changes for upshift too, in either case, i would not change the very lowest TPS cells too much. as for your converter, go to the TCC tab then normal mode MPH vs %TPS. you will see a table similar to the shift speed table. the same thing applys here as the shift table. if you don't want your converter to lock up in third, just change all the 3rd apply and release numbers to 254 and 236 respectively or whatever your 2nd apply and release numbers are. if you want to reduce the in/out lockup at or around a certain speed, find it in the table and lower the release numbers if you want to keep it locked, or, raise the apply numbers to leave it unlocked longer. as for leaving it unlocked until 4th, that is up to you. it would certainly drive better. how do you use the truck the most? that will be your deciding factor. whatever you do, keep a running tab of your changes so you will know what does what for your motor and ALWAYS keep a copy of your original file where it can't be changed ie CDR/DVDR. about your stumble, do you still have TQM in?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

No torque management and thanks a lot for the info. I went and looked at all the readings and had no clue as to what they meant so really, thanks a lot!
Old 12-20-2003, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

no problem. i hope that helps you out a little bit at least.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:48 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a yank 3000 and never really had any problems with stock settings but i also had a whipple so while cruzing it had the extra torque so it never got to the point of unlocking. i am prety sure you are in 4th and staying in 4th most of the time when it is happening so making it only lock in 4th wont help your cruseing problem.

you need more power, that would fix it. i do know what you are talking about because i would get something similar when towing and found it was better for my sanity and actualy lower rpms most of the time to put it in 3rd when towing in a hilly area. 3rd locked is lower rpms then 4th unlocked at cruise.

i want to play with my lockup and shift points but there is alot to look at there and i probably wont ever get into it.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
you need more power, that would fix it..
Aww man, are you knocking my 422? J/K, I got my 42# injectors dialed in yesterday and changed my TCC lock-up settings, I must say I'm very pleased with shifting. Now I need help with everything else-timing, VE, etc. I've been doing some reading over on ls1tuning.com that I hope will get me in the ball park as where I need to be. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:03 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whoa, didn't know you had a 422 , that thing should never get to the point of unlocking or shifting down while cruzing i wouldn't think.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
whoa, didn't know you had a 422 , that thing should never get to the point of unlocking or shifting down while cruzing i wouldn't think.
There's very little I understand about LS1 Edit but I was originally running on an old heads/cam tune from Ed Wright. With this tune is where I had all my shifting troubles. I tried to read what he did but his "lock" wouldn't let me. Any tips on how to get my tune somewhat close without a WB?
Old 12-20-2003, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

yea! you left out the 422 part! rock on! my 408 suddenly seems small.

you may need bigger injectors than the 42's.