Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need some opnions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most newer mechanics use the time it calls for to do a job as a way to keep all shops similar in price. If you go to school for it now they will teach you to go by it and if you work for dealerships or newer large shops they will go by it as well. At the school I go to they teach us to go by it becuase it will most likely be what we use in the future. It all equals out in the end to mechanics because some jobs you get paid for more hours than you put into it and some you work several more hours and only end up getting paid for the quoted hours. It sucks to people taking their cars into the shop but it is a good way for mechanics to cover the time spent that they get paid nothing for. I see how it would be bad for you though and I would suggest asking around for an older mechanic that knows what he is doing because they don't usually follow the book quoted times and would give you a better price quote and possibly better work if he is more experienced than all of the newer mechanics that are fresh in the field.