Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

NEED some quick help about '98 truck intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED some quick help about '98 truck intake

I woke up decided to go ahead and remove my upper intake and clean all the gunk out and also install the scpi to mpi fuel injectors. definately a pretty straight forward task. when i removed the upper intake i knew it was going to be all black under there but it actually was not too bad. the worst and most caked part was where the throttle body lays on top of. kind of weird but o well. So scrubbed the upper intake to a squeeky clean state, that poor sponge and bucket of water turned black fast. so, after cleaning and inspecting and changing gaskets, i start putting things back together. very straight forward ordeal. the new injectors look much happier where they are than that old poopy spider unit. So, get those in correctly and triple checked everything. go on to put the upper part back on, and it was a real pain to get that top part of the fuel injector thing where the big electrical connector hooks and the fuel lines. it took 3 tries to get it to push into the intake port. i was kind of sketchy as if it was fully seated but pressed on. those freaking fuel lines are a pain to push back into the intake, i climbed into the engine bay and was yelling at them until they cooperated. so, put everything back and it all looks sexy clean...er. i pray, then turn the key and it starts up. check engine light is on, and when you give it gas, the fuel injection thing that i had an issue seating into the intake port would move down when i gassed it then pop back up. so i figure it was a vacuum leak. except it seems like it is seated. it wont go anywhere. and i tried to drive it, and my trans shifts freaking quick from park to reverse and i thought that was fishy too...
I do not have a scanner on hand so i cannot scan codes, and how can i pull that darn injection plug thingy back up all the way... do i have to take it all apart again to push it up properly? thankfully i dont have anything going on tomorrow its spring break. any help would be rearry appreciated.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Launching!

okay... so... hehe... as i was scrubbing the gas and dirt from my gash, and scrubbing m arms which got a nice tan... i was going through the list of sensors i touched today that could interfere with trans being fast shifting and check engine light on but not blinking and bogging... then i remembered when my intake tube came off while in traffic with two very lovely ladies it started to kick and bog and poop on me. EUREKA!!!!!! mass air flow sensor! ran outside all soapy and popped the hood and boom... second time i forgot to plug that thing in. everything is all good now. the injector plug thingy still kinda moves up and down but so far nothing. man that idle is much smoother. my fuel pressure is no longer at 70 while idling. its at a nice 59-60. and as i was jumping for joy that i fixed my issue (long day) i realized that truthfully, my truck is almost dead silent under idle. I do not know how any cop can say im loud. i have really good hearing and from where the cop walks, i cannot hear anything. but oh well. oh, and that spider tried to steal my lunch...

Last edited by cams 98 silverado; 03-31-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: picture
Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

what injector swap did you do im workin on my buddies 97 z71 and gettin rid of the spider would be a great thing
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea the upgraded injectors helped alot and are way more reliable than the poppets
Old 04-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Launching!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
my idle is beautiful. that scary spider is out of my motor. i have better throttle response, and i feel much better knowing its sixed and that weird idle is not a problem. up next is headers and full exhaust...with tune.