Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

In Need of some speedy cam assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timmer1
if I were to put the seat over what is on there, the seat would sit a quarter inch off from the heads. In the ls1howto instructions, it says the new seat must fit flush with the heads. I found out yesterday that the stock seat on cast iron heads are machined right in, most likely forcing me to use single spring instead of dual spring. On aluminum heads, the stock seat is removable.

So, I either have to swap to single springs or to aluminum heads. I don't have the money to go to aluminum heads, unless there's someone out there giving them away. I'll be swapping these springs to singles on monday.

Thanks for your help everybody.
you are correct. i did not see that they were iron heads. you could probably pick up a set of stock 5.3 or some ls1 heads for cheap if you look around. would get a bump in compression with that too.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Launching!

yeah, I was looking a little, but don't have a whole lot to spend on heads right now. I was just going to swap out to the 918 springs just to get me going again. Unfortunately, my truck is my only mode of transportation other than my bike, and figures it's supposed to rain for the rest of the week.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did you go with the 4L80E? Or how did you make the old 6.0 work? I know everybody is wondering...
Old 05-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Nope, still have the stock 5 speed in it. Bolted right up. The difference was only about 30 thousandths of an inch off. Clutch engages at a different pedal point, but hooks up well. Only thing I'm going to do if I pull it apart again, is have the flywheel turned down 30 thousandths to make up for the mounting difference. When I heard about this difference, I got worried, but I got my calipers out to measure the difference and found that was all it was. I measured the distance between the flywheel mounting point and the transmission mounting point on the 6.0L and on the 4.3L. It looks very deceiving, but the transmission mounting point must stick out further to compensate the longer crank. I wouldn't want anybody to run out and try it solely on what I'm saying, but it's been working for me for about a year now.