Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need Transgo help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Need Transgo help ASAP!!

Do you use the red or white spring in the accum valve with the vette servo? The number on my servo does not corrospond with any listed in the instructions. Also I am guessing none of you used the blue servo spring since the vette servo does not have a cussion plate? I have everything ready to put back in except for this spring and transgo's tech support is out till Monday.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang on .. lemmie find my ATF embalmed directions
Old 01-02-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't find them, but I remember talking to TransGo about this and they told me that the vette servo is not the same number as stock. I don't remember the number, but the stokc one matched with one set of numbers on there. Don't use that spring, use the other. I don't remember the colors. Lemmei know if that helped, the dirictions weren;t where I thought they were.

As for the springs ... I'm guessing your talking about the ones inside the piston. I used 2 blue ones, one light and one a little darker blue.

Word of caution, my directions said use both spacers .... DON'T! They are for worn bands and shouldn't be used if your tranny is in good shape. They failed to mention this in my 1998 revision and were laughing when they told me after the 4th fone call on the 2nd day after contacting them the first time about it. :flame:
Old 01-02-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

OK did it match the 093/95-1 or one of the 553/554 numbers. Mine is 86-1.
My directions show taking the servo apart(just like the stock one is) and adding a thick blue spring to the one already in there and putting the servo back to gether. My servo is only one piece on for the piston. Do you put the blue spring over the existing spring that is there? Btw... I put both spacers in and it didnt change my band clearance any... will it change once there is fluid pressure on the piston? Dammit why did transgo have to be on vacation today?!
Old 01-02-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

My spring fit inside the existing one. You are talking about the spring that is directly behind the servo, right? I also added shims, but my kit may have been different. I have the 4L60E-HD2 series B kit.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

The one that slides on the pin right before you stick the servo assembly into the trans. I installed the blue spring over the exitsting spring and stuck it in there. Is that right? Also ben which servo number did you use for the accum valve?
Old 01-02-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I added the shims, and it wouldn't release the band on a 4-3 shift. It felt like the tranny was binding up. Once it hit 2nd and back to 3 it was OK. I pulled the shims out and the problem went away. The clearance checked out the way they said to do it with the shims in too. That's what really threw me off. My friend's dad talked to a tranny guy and said the tranny guy was surprised I didn't burn up the band after telling him what happened. I agree ... had I not been aware it was in a bind and went on like nothing was wrong, I think it would be toast.

The blue spring was one inside the other.

About the red/white spring ... let me look for the papers again.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK .. found them .. I used the White spring. They told me the vette servo is the same as the 95-1 or 093.

I did use the blue spring. You reuse that one ... then you add the blue spring to the inside of the OE spring.

Now that you know the number on it .. that should help too.

Another thing about the spacers .. with them both in there, it was a real bitch to get the snap ring on the cover back off. I have a 3 week old cut on my finger still from one of the 2 screwdrivers I was using to pry it off slipping.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks flyer. I just found that the stock vette number is 093. Time to get it all put back together now.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you use those spacers, be sure to check the 4-3 shift after everything gets warm enough to melt the vasoline (105* per TransGo). Until then ... don't let it shift into 4th.

If your in 4 w/ tcc lock, pull the selector to 3 holding steady on the gas pedal. Do this at about 45mph, just enough so that it will shift into 4th. It should freely release the band and you will feel 3rd drop in. Mine would be real mushy, then it was like I had to give it considerable more pedal to hold a steady speed after that and the exhaust would sound like it was loading up bad. If that happens, pull a spacer or 2 out.

Quick Reply: Need Transgo help ASAP!!