Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Needing Some O2 Simulators

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing Some O2 Simulators

Like the title says. I have an 05 RCSB 5.3, can anyone help me with finding some. After I put the pacesetter long tubes on there it has just ran like sh*t! It is also giving me codes like P0134, 135, 154, and 155. Please help!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those codes are for your front 02 sensors, make sure they are installed and plugged in. Next step would be to replace them. Did you re-tune your truck for headers? You really should.

FYI nobody really makes 02 simulators for these trucks anymore, the best bet would be to have the rear 02s deleted from your tune if you are running gutted or deleted cats.

You cannot use an 02 simulator in place of a front 02. The front 02s help the computer to determine how rich/lean your engine is running, so that it can deliver the proper amount of fuel.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did have the back one's already deleted. The front's have bosch's on there right now. (I bought it that way). Do I just need to get good factory O2's up front or is there a cheaper way. I have heard of some people getting corvette O2's. Has anyone heard of this?
Old 12-13-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

And why would just putting headers on there cause all of these problems? It really runs bad, like missing a couple of cylinders.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bosch 02s are good, check the wiring on both, also pull and check each sensor for damage, you may still have to replace each.

Did you change the spark plugs during the install? Or did you remove and re-install them? It is possible that you cracked a plug during the installation. Also check that all spark plug wires are connected......
Old 12-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts

dont delete the front 02 sensors. they are either bad, or notifying you of problems elsewhere.

do you have a custom tune?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P0134 Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0135 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0154 Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0155 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2, Sensor 1

It is pretty rare to see all of them at once, but this is not unheard of when you put on headers. Actually sort of common if you didn't get coated headers. The O2's need a particular heat range to operate efficiently. Now that you have decreased the heat in the exhaust the pcm is not seeing the proper reistance for the heater circuit and of course it causes insufficient activity due to not enough heat.

Coat the headers.
or
Wrap the headers.
or
Put in hotter o2's (rear vette sensors are known for having hotter heaters)
or
Get a custom tune to ignore those codes, they won't effect too much, you just won't ever know if you have a real problem with your sensors. (change them every 50K and you'll be fine IMO)

Obviously you'll want to try to get them to work properly as most emission tests will do a OBDII plug in and you can't have any codes and most if not all of your readiness tests need to be in the pass status.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have emission test here in Arkansas. I am not worried about having them on there or not. When I unplug them it seems to run better. What would be the best "coating" for the headers. Also it has the bosch O2's that were put on there about 7000 miles ago. I have not had a problem out of them until now. I just really don't know which way to approach this. I hate having to deal with these problems.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fireman31
Bosch 02s are good, check the wiring on both, also pull and check each sensor for damage, you may still have to replace each.

Did you change the spark plugs during the install? Or did you remove and re-install them? It is possible that you cracked a plug during the installation. Also check that all spark plug wires are connected......
How are the O2's supposed to look? I took both of them out and they "looked" fine. I didn't remove the spark plugs. We were pretty careful around the plugs but you are right about maybe damaging them. How can you check them for being cracked or damaged? I took them out and they appeared to be fine.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey man, sorry to hear about your probs but those are to be expected when modding!

Personally, I would use OEM o2s, and preferably the corvette o2s for the aforementioned reason. At one point I had on non-coated headers and everything ran just fine with the stock 02s

Quick Reply: Needing Some O2 Simulators