Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson e-fan harness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 PM
KDT
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson e-fan harness?

I need to know if the Nelson e-fan harness is good enough to run 05+ e-fans and is it as quite as the oem set-up? I have heard that the Nelson Harness is not good for the 05+ fans, but made more for the LS1 fan set up?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the Nelson harness with my 05 efans for a few years now with no problems. Only difference in that harness between the 05 and LS1 fans is the connectors that go to the fans. I'm not sure how the fans sound in factory form, but my fans don't sound any louder than any other efans that I've heard. When they're commanded on by the PCM, with the AC off, they run on low and I can't even hear them at all. At high fan speed I can hear them at idle, but once I get moving the sound of my engine and exhaust drowns them out.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 PM
KDT
Staging Lane

I've have heard many 05+ stock fans and my low speed sound like their high speed? Just wondering if i can get this with an aftermarket harness with trouble free issues? Will the Nelson harness be ok trouble free and be quiet? I can hear my wife's Denali fans on high from about 100yds out! Just sick of trying to make this mod work right!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My harness has been trouble free (knock on wood)...I've read of a few guys having problems with the relays, but that's about it. New relays are a cheap and easy repair though if they give you a problem. What harness set up are you using now and how does it control high and low speed? I believe that the Nelson harness uses the resistance of the one of the relays for low, and goes straight through the contacts only for high. I'm not 100% sure, haven't looked at a schematic for the harness in a while (the schematic has been posted around here for a few times). As I mentioned, when my fans are on low, I can't even hear them, the small factory fans in my wife's 03 Toyota Matirx are louder. There's no doubt when the fans come on high though, and I don't see how that could be much different than the factory fans on high, as it's just straight 12 volts (or 13ish to 14ish while the engine is running actually) with the Nelson harness. I would imagine that the stock set up would supply the same voltage for high fan operation. I've never heard the stock fans in an actual 05 truck though, so I have nothing to compare to.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Top notch harness bro! Check out his site for the options on the harness. Mine works great with factory 05 Efans!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:32 PM
KDT
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Black Plague
Top notch harness bro! Check out his site for the options on the harness. Mine works great with factory 05 Efans!
I'm sure it is top notch. Is it as quite as the 05+ oem fan set up?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:00 AM
11.0 Moderator

Originally Posted by KDT
I've have heard many 05+ stock fans and my low speed sound like their high speed? Just wondering if i can get this with an aftermarket harness with trouble free issues? Will the Nelson harness be ok trouble free and be quiet? I can hear my wife's Denali fans on high from about 100yds out! Just sick of trying to make this mod work right!
are you talking about one fan on high speed or both fans on high speed? cause there is a difference.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im using a Nelson harness with my 05+ fans.

These fans are way quieter than my LS1 fans were.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Banned

Your PCM has the ability ro run the fans. Why buy a seperate harness? That's just dumb.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by S/C Z71
Your PCM has the ability ro run the fans. Why buy a seperate harness? That's just dumb.
How does the PCM run the fans if there are no wire running from it to the fans... isn't that what a harness if for? Please explain...

Quick Reply: Nelson e-fan harness?