Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson harness not working with 05 Fan swap. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:02 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coban
No power to the toggle at all. Tape the red wire up or cut it off and tape it.

Since black is grounded already, you are good to go.
I tried it and they were off, but now nothing will come on with the toggle. This crap is driving me crazy. . . any more ideas?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

OK, one more idea. Red wire must be the center post and can provide power to whichever post its switched to.

Try this. Ground the red wire and connect either of the others to your fan harness. Still, do not connect 12V power.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Coban
OK, one more idea. Red wire must be the center post and can provide power to whichever post its switched to.

Try this. Ground the red wire and connect either of the others to your fan harness. Still, do not connect 12V power.
I don't really understand what your saying...

Here is the set-up going to the toggle:

Blue wire = goes to the harness
Black wire = grounded under the steering column
Red wire = runs from the toggle to the fuse box ; gets power from there

Are you saying disconnect the red wire altogether? And just run the blue and black? If so, it's not working with my toggle (3 pin/30amp), do I need to get a 2 pin toggle?

Thanks for helping out!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:25 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

What you are doing is connecting your blue wire to ground through the switch instead of directly to the frame (or whatever you ground it to). Your toggle switch now controls if the fans will come on low or not. This is a much better option than disconnecting your battery every time since you are essential doing the same thing only by using a switch instead. By connecting the green wire to the AC you are turning the fans on "high" whenever the AC comes on. Your red wire is not used.

You can use a 3 pin switch and only use 2 prongs, just the other switch direction wont do anything. Connect the grounded black wire to the middle prong and the blue wire to the top prong, now when you flip the switch down (oppisite direction of the blue wire) your fans should come on low. When the AC kicks on, your fans should turn on high. If you have the toggle off and the AC kicks on, I believe 1 fan will be on high and the other will be off.

Just as a side note, a relay only requires about 250ma (1/4 of an amp) to switch, so you dont need a switch rated at 30a, although it wont hurt.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:36 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Just cause im bored, but if you want to be fancy you can do this

Get a DPDT switch (tell them double pole double throw and they should know what you are talking about) from radioshack and connect it like i did in the diagram. When you flip the switch down you get the fans on low, when you flip it up they are on high, and in the middle they are off.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Atomic
What you are doing is connecting your blue wire to ground through the switch instead of directly to the frame (or whatever you ground it to). Your toggle switch now controls if the fans will come on low or not. This is a much better option than disconnecting your battery every time since you are essential doing the same thing only by using a switch instead. By connecting the green wire to the AC you are turning the fans on "high" whenever the AC comes on. Your red wire is not used.

You can use a 3 pin switch and only use 2 prongs, just the other switch direction wont do anything. Connect the grounded black wire to the middle prong and the blue wire to the top prong, now when you flip the switch down (oppisite direction of the blue wire) your fans should come on low. When the AC kicks on, your fans should turn on high. If you have the toggle off and the AC kicks on, I believe 1 fan will be on high and the other will be off.

Just as a side note, a relay only requires about 250ma (1/4 of an amp) to switch, so you dont need a switch rated at 30a, although it wont hurt.

It worked! Both fans come on low now! Thanks guys!