Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson or Hp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would suggest just getting hp...all you have to do is spend a little time reading up on the different tuning sites..there are also a lot of people out there that are willing to help...if i had to vote i would vote against getting nelson...just my personal experience...nothing more.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

get a nelson tune and you will not be dissappointed. i had a westers. as a matter of fact i had four westers tunes. once i went to the nelson tune i have never looked back.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guess it is just personal preference. If you like messing with the truck, and taking time to work on it, then HPtuners would be a great idea. If you don't want to bother trying to learn it and just want to put it on and go, then go Nelson. He has already done the research for you, and gives free updates. My truck feels 10X better, and I don't have to worry about blowing it up because of me changing something too much. Nelson is also very detail oriented. He did things like turn off my AC compressor over 4000 rpm, and stuff that I would not have even though of.

SSminneapolis has a point that if you want to learn it, there is a ton of great info, and great guys willing to help you. If you try, then you can do a very good job tuning it yourself, but it will take some time and effort. Just depends on if you want to spend the time doing it or not.

Like I said, I still eventually plan on getting HPtuners, but right now I just don't have the time to learn it all. TOO MUCH SCHOOL!!!!!!

Aaron
Old 02-02-2005, 04:49 PM
I Like Gold!!!

i also got allen to tune my truck this past weekend. And this is my second truck to take to him. Allen is the man!!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Hey thanx Guys all your opions are really appreciated, I have been wanting to go with Nelson for a long time. But I have been thinking of HP because I want to learn how to change and tune my truck for my needs and just to know how to do it. Right now I think Nelson is going to be the best for me. I realy dont have alot of time for learning how to tune right now. High school sux!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive had a nelson tune and recently got jeff at carolina auto masters to do a dyno tune for less money and gained 10 hp and more area under the curve!!!!!!!!! Now it shifts much better and I have the truck setup to my liking, the mail order from nelson had 32 deg.of timing and afr running stupid rich which accounts for getting 11.6 mpg If I had to do it over again I wouldnt not order any mail order tune!!!!!!!!!! But instead I would find someone in my local area with a dyno and have them tune it that is the best possible option for tuning DONT LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT!!! I have a couple of friends who have also run into problems with nelsons follow up tunes after modifications. Do it right the first time and go to a dyno its worth driving a couple of hours if you have to.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

99% of the time a dyno tune is going to be better than any mail order tune. But if you dont know anyone in the area that has experience with these trucks, I'd lean towards the mail order tune from someone who has extensive experience with your motor.

Side note - I've had about 5 PCM's mailed to me and a couple dyno/street tunes from Allen, and all have performed great and he has always taken the time to talk on the phone and meet up with me while I'm in San Antonio for a free street tune. Hes a cool guy.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by O3GMC
99% of the time a dyno tune is going to be better than any mail order tune. But if you dont know anyone in the area that has experience with these trucks, I'd lean towards the mail order tune from someone who has extensive experience with your motor.

Side note - I've had about 5 PCM's mailed to me and a couple dyno/street tunes from Allen, and all have performed great and he has always taken the time to talk on the phone and meet up with me while I'm in San Antonio for a free street tune. Hes a cool guy.
Im shore allens a nice guy its just myself and some other people that I know of have taken the time to log runs etc and send info to him and we've all gotten some strange tunes with a gross amount of timing and air to fuel. I dont doubt allens prowess as a tuner or his knowledge. But, when something seems to be a pattern it gets my nose going