Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson or HPTuner???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson or HPTuner???

If I am going to blow $500 on a tune, should I go for the Nelson DYno tune, or just buy the HPTuners kit?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2001Z71
If I am going to blow $500 on a tune, should I go for the Nelson DYno tune, or just buy the HPTuners kit?
Same dilema here. 2 vehicles for the same price for HPTuners but no custom tunes and you have to be willing to spend time to play with it. Benefit of a Nelson is one shot and you are done.

Decisions, decisions.......
Old 06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you dont have any experience in tuning get allen to tune your truck but if you think you can handle it get hpt. I have his tune and its awesome. I will be getting hpt after I do my engine swap so I can tweak things get allen to send me retunes through email and download them to my pcm.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, Im not too comfortable tuning a supercharged engine by myself,
Old 06-22-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bish
Same dilema here. 2 vehicles for the same price for HPTuners but no custom tunes and you have to be willing to spend time to play with it. Benefit of a Nelson is one shot and you are done.

Decisions, decisions.......
DO NOT get a Nelson tune "thinking" one shot and your done, that is not alwayz the case. Tuning takes alot of time and sometimes alot of tries to get it right!!! Just so you know either one you chose will take time, difference is you can learn it yourself or have someone do it for you...If i could do it all over again I would program it myself, not cause Nelson isn't good but becuase I want to know how to tune it myself!!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think if you had access to use a dyno to tune on, you could pretty much nail it on the first tune. I'm sure you would have to tweek the hell out of it on the dyno though.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both and not taking anything away from nelson he does a great job. I now have hp tuners and its well worth the money and time I invested to learn how to tune it myself!!!!!

It makes the truck so much more drivable having tuned the ve tables and maf. I get better gas mileage, more power, drivability and knocked almost 2/10 off the 1/8 with part throttle tuning. This is only something you can do with HP tuners. If you want your setup to live up to its potential, then buy HP tuners and start reading all the info you need is in the pcm section.

If I can help just pm me.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:52 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought my pcmforless tune was gonna be a one-shot deal, I'm starting to realize that the real strength in mail order tunes is the ability to log and get updates over email, which required you to have the software anyway.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

So, how much time would someone like me who has no tuning experience take to learn the basics. I am fairly intelligent and love to learn new things, blah blah blah.

Seriously, I was trying to talk the pops into getting his truck tuned, but if I can split the cost of a HPtuners!!!!!! NICE.

Will the basic package do everything needed? I will be supercharging the best sometime, gotta plan for that?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree! Buy HPTuners, it is not that bad to learn and there are tuned files you can look up at www.horist.com/hptuner The mail order tunes get you close because they have experience in getting general tunes out, but with HPTuners you can custom tune those variable even further and you can also have a scanner to keep an eye on things. Mail order tuners do not give you that option, a scanner. You would have to buy that seperately. Also, with HPTuners you can email a bin file to anyone that uses HPTuners (I think Nelson uses HPTuners). Good luck with either one you choose.

It took me about 3 months to understand the tuning functions, actual time will vary based on how dedicated you are to learning tuning and the resources available to you.

Quick Reply: Nelson or HPTuner???