Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson or HPTuner???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first i had bought the nellson tune now a year later i have bought HPTuners. save yourself some money and just buy hp tunners, there is lots of people on the ls1tech form that can help you.
Buy HPTuners!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i think it all boils down to how much time you are wanting to spend with it. if you havenevr tuned then you are going to be listening to what others have done and are going to be doing as they reccomend doing. that means until you get ok with it you are going to be tuning it from a bunch of peoples ideas and not your own for a good while. or. you can let nelson tune it and i bet he gets it very close if not near perfect. it is up to you. i had a nelson tune and hp tuners.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Get a real tune not a mail order or do it yourself and take your time.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

now that i have my hp tuners i wish i had not bought the nelson tune, if i could go back and do it all over again i would have not bought the nelson tune and just got hp tuners

Also i am not very happy with the nelson tune. I drove all the way from kansas down to San Antonio Texas to have alen retune my truck after i put my s/c on, and this was back at the middle of may and i still don't have things working right. when i was down in SA i really felt like i got bad service. I had to wait around for a long time at his house for him just to get a base tune. now over a month latter i finally decided to buy hp tuners and things are starting to get better. there are lots of people on the form that will help you.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by j4nash
now that i have my hp tuners i wish i had not bought the nelson tune, if i could go back and do it all over again i would have not bought the nelson tune and just got hp tuners

Also i am not very happy with the nelson tune. I drove all the way from kansas down to San Antonio Texas to have alen retune my truck after i put my s/c on, and this was back at the middle of may and i still don't have things working right. when i was down in SA i really felt like i got bad service. I had to wait around for a long time at his house for him just to get a base tune. now over a month latter i finally decided to buy hp tuners and things are starting to get better. there are lots of people on the form that will help you.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

I just dont want to mess my truck up, Is anybody in San Antonio that would help me?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2001Z71
I just dont want to mess my truck up, Is anybody in San Antonio that would help me?
If you take it slow and really read and get an understanding for something before you change it the you wont mess anything up (hopefully), risk equals reward same applies here. You can get alot better results from being able to tune the truck yourself part throttle is where its at. I read for months before I jumped into hp tuners, its the best mod Ive made to date I learned so much just from trying to tune and I still learn everyday. In my estimation HP tuners is worth more than what they ask for it from the simple after effects of having it. Its so cool being able to see what going on with your engine and adjusting things to your liking. If your really into engines go for it, if you sort of want some performance go the other route. Neither is a bad choice one has alot more potential than the other though.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:46 AM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

nelson performance is in san antonio. if you are in san antonio then get him to do it in person. dont base good or bad on just few that are unhappy. that is with all companies. an in person tune from an experienced tuner will be about the best you are going to get.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:15 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-23-2005, 07:19 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So when I upgrade to HPtuners, it will scan also?? I want to do this, but was looking into LS1edit, and was talked out of it. But I hear HPtuners is alot easier for the beginer.

Quick Reply: Nelson or HPTuner???