Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

nelson tune--loooowww idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default nelson tune--loooowww idle

hey i just installed a yank tt3000, hd 2 shift kit with sonnax 4th servo and acummulator pistons, boost valve and all that good stuff along with my nelson tune (tuned for all that stuff) yesterday. everything is great except the idle. it idles at like 400-500 rpm and it stalled once. i havent drive it very much only to warm it up, but did you guys have the same problem? i had the battery idsconnected for a while so im thinking maybe it has to re-learn or something. let me know what you guys think, thanks!
Old 06-17-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesn't the truck have to "re-learn" the idle? mine idled really low when i got it first tuned. i think i had to give it some gas for a little while until it learned. someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

thats what im thinking, i had the battery disconnected and switched pcms, and i havent even driven it ten miles yet. im gonna put some miles it right now htough so well see in a little bit.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive it around for a few days then see if it still does it...
Old 06-17-2007, 01:59 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am getting my Nelson tune in the mail Wensday and leaving for Scapin The Coast on Saturday of next week. Should that be enough time for my truck to learn everything? I didn't realize that the truck needed to learn the newly tuned PCM.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

You should e-mail nelson and ask what exactly the idle is at. Also, you are gonna want your idle pretty high cause of that stall converter, cause the slightest hill you will roll back, not very much pull like a stock converter. My idle is at 700 i think, and that's pretty good for my 3200 stall.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:18 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should adjust the idle airflow, spark and fueling to get to the desired idle speed thats been set in the PCM. If it has a low idle set in the PCM, thats what its going to try for and you won't see it get much better. If it has a higher idle set, then it will start making adjustments until it gets there.

Were you running this tune before the mods, or is it fresh from nelson?
Old 06-17-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

like i said, you need to find out your exact idle rpm's and see if you need to bump them up a 100 or so
Old 06-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by 06sierra5.3
hey i just installed a yank tt3000, hd 2 shift kit with sonnax 4th servo and acummulator pistons, boost valve and all that good stuff along with my nelson tune (tuned for all that stuff) yesterday. everything is great except the idle. it idles at like 400-500 rpm and it stalled once. i havent drive it very much only to warm it up, but did you guys have the same problem? i had the battery idsconnected for a while so im thinking maybe it has to re-learn or something. let me know what you guys think, thanks!
send me an email and your name and I'll check it out. if the idle doesn't get better, let me know if there is a ses light, sometimes the idle does take a few cycles to adjust.

allen
Old 06-17-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

i noticed after a few key cycles it got better, its still low @ 500 rpm but its stable now, it doesnt stutter aymore, and i was on a mild incline and it didnt go backwards. it seems fine now. the only stutter i got is when i slammed the brakes to a complete stop, otherwise its fine. havent had a chance to really get on it as im breaking in the torque converter, but it picks up a lot better now. the tune is new. so far im happy with it. if i have any more issues Allen ill let you know. thanks.

Quick Reply: nelson tune--loooowww idle