Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson Vs. Others

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Westers tune just a few days ago, and I am loving it so far. There was a noticable gain immediatly. After the first tank of gas, the gains were even greater. I have even noticed that my MPG has improved about 2MPG.

Over all, I'd recommend either Nelson(by reader reponses) or Westers as the MPG gains are enough to pay for itself.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

nelson is by far better.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Launching!

I'll be careful as I can here as we aren't a sponsor on the board anymore, but we have had excellent results on the trucks as well. Over on the Silverado SS forum you can check out the feedback on our recent results.
bryan
Old 03-15-2004, 02:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Pretty much any REAL PCM tune will be leaps and bounds over a handheld as they are limited. HPP3 did nothing preformance wise for my truck, it did raise the shift points which was nice but that's about it. I have a tune from Allen and it's great, my truck is totally different. I can't compare to other tuning besides HPP3.

02Denali went from Westers to Allen. Westers is a great product but on the conservative side.

1BADHD went from HPP3 to Predator to Westers all in ascending power gains.

My gains were +2mpg city/+3mpg highway. I have 93 octane tuning, NO TqMgt at all, etc. It's amazing how much GM left in there.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=

02Denali went from Westers to Allen. Westers is a great product but on the conservative side.

QUOTE]

Sorry, can't resist

Went from a Wester's mailorder tune to a Nelson's driven tune. Close but not the same

Other then that, either tuner will make it really fun to drive your truck
Old 03-15-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=augiedog77]
Originally Posted by

Sorry, can't resist

Went from a Wester's mailorder tune to a Nelson's driven tune. Close but not the same

Other then that, either tuner will make it really fun to drive your truck

First... what the hell couldn't you resist about? Trying to start something or what? If so I as well as other members have no time for pissing matches/frivolous information. It doesn't appear you have any proof to your claims that you are making. That's if you are trying to prove something. In any event, if you have nothing of importance to add please do not add your 2¢ to this thread.

I saw Lance's truck get faster with Allen's basic tuning, on top of that when he explicitly asked for total TqMgt removal Westers left some in there...not what he asked for. That's conservative if you ask me... Mr Webster defines it as:

1. Opposed to change
2. Moderate; not extreme
3. Protecting from loss, waste, or injury
4. Preservative

Hrm... sounds like the way I described Westers tune on Lance's truck fit the bill. His 87 tune ran better than the 93 tune also.

Also on my truck I had Allen flash me a "mailorder" tune then we tuned it to the nail. I noticed no difference in performance over the mailorder vs the driven tune. Basically it was pretty much right on the first time out. We added maybe 2* timing up top and a tad more fuel, not enough to register the gains.

Before you start something, be prepared to end it also.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldnt resist......

Nelsons, Nelsons. A thousand times, NELSONS!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL ... that's funny
Old 03-16-2004, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
First... what the hell couldn't you resist about? Trying to start something or what? If so I as well as other members have no time for pissing matches/frivolous information. It doesn't appear you have any proof to your claims that you are making. That's if you are trying to prove something. In any event, if you have nothing of importance to add please do not add your 2¢ to this thread.

I saw Lance's truck get faster with Allen's basic tuning, on top of that when he explicitly asked for total TqMgt removal Westers left some in there...not what he asked for. That's conservative if you ask me... Mr Webster defines it as:

1. Opposed to change
2. Moderate; not extreme
3. Protecting from loss, waste, or injury
4. Preservative

Hrm... sounds like the way I described Westers tune on Lance's truck fit the bill. His 87 tune ran better than the 93 tune also.

Also on my truck I had Allen flash me a "mailorder" tune then we tuned it to the nail. I noticed no difference in performance over the mailorder vs the driven tune. Basically it was pretty much right on the first time out. We added maybe 2* timing up top and a tad more fuel, not enough to register the gains.

Before you start something, be prepared to end it also.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Sheesh. have a beer
Old 03-16-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you get a nelson pretuned pcm,what vin# shows up when scanned?
The dealership might have warranty issues with incorrect vin#.??
Nelson Tuning did repair my idle and stall problems after cam change,and Allen is very good,but I ran low 15's with Hypertech and headers,ECSB @ 5200#s, and the hand held programmer uninstalled or modified in about 15 min. and it is made for dummy's like me.

Best Tune ? Nelson Performance or other Open Edit tuner.
Best for you?
Simple,safe,and fun to playwith... Hypp III or Preditor

Quick Reply: Nelson Vs. Others