Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson VS. PCMforless

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:49 PM
I Like Gold!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG JOHN
My .02 cents...

02denali- I really doubt a Nelson tune was 4/10ths quicker than a Westers tune...I'm sure Lyndon would have retuned his box for ya if it was'nt quit right...I went from a PPG to a Westers tune and it was a over 3 truck lengths faster which is more than 4/10ths-(enough to out run an SS with 2500HD CCSB)

BTW- I would rather buy a program from the TEACHER than the student-IMHO-BJ

We have about 10 or more tech members here that can say LANCE gained 4/10ths over westers. Hell i gained over 5/10ths more with a NELSON TUNE over hpp3
Old 07-29-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BBLS1
We have about 10 or more tech members here that can say LANCE gained 4/10ths over westers. Hell i gained over 5/10ths more with a NELSON TUNE over hpp3
If you gained .4 over a westers and a half a second over the hypertech, than that means the nelson tune is doing what, cutting stock times by .8-.9 secs?

Seems a little much to be cutting off with tuning....

.....Though I'm no expert.

edit:

I'm also going with the PCMFORLESS. I talked with Bryan eariler today, and he seemed very knowledgable and took time to answer all of my questions and explained things thoroughly. I'm choosing the PCM for less b/c I don't want to drop 400 right off the bat for a tune. Also, I'm only planning one, MAYBE two more performance mods that MAY require tuning.

So if I did those two at the same time, which I would probobly do, I'ld only be out 50 bucks... and 250+50 = only 300.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Someone I know was looking at PCMforLess. He was dead set on getting a Nelson tune until I started venting about my problems with Nelson and lack of answering emails and blowing me off. He saw the emails and all that went back and forth. I tried working something out that would have made me happy, but that was a no go. If that would have gone through he would have followed me on the 6 hour drive to get his truck tuned. Anyways .. besides the point, he was talking with PCM 4 Less and said they will tune vie email and EDIT for cheaper than the priginal price and will extend the updates indefinantly. This may have already been said, but I only skimmed the thread.

Bottom line, I would think about all the threads I've seen about 'Anyone seen Allen', or 'Where is Allen', etc before making my decision. I have no doubt that Allen has the ability to tune, although I wouldn't know first hand, but I've heard lots of good things, as well as good things about his customer service.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

ok to --derek silvy and big john.--i had a hypertech. i had a predator. i had 4 westers tunes that he said were maxxed. i informed him to take out all tqm and he would not do it. even when he said he did he did not. best i got from my westers was a 15.24. i mailed pcm's back and forth with him. i finally got to meet allen and payed for a tune from him. that very evening i we aoll went to the track and i ran 14.89. right off the bat and kept running it. you can say what you believe. i say what i know is the truth. there have been many a discussions about this very thing. there are a lot of other members who know all this to be truthful.and yes with some mods and al lot of tuning there is a second to be gained.i am now in the low 14's n/a. pick who you wish. i know from mine and others who i believe in.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:36 AM
I Like Gold!!!

Originally Posted by derek_silvy
If you gained .4 over a westers and a half a second over the hypertech, than that means the nelson tune is doing what, cutting stock times by .8-.9 secs?

edit:

I'm also going with the PCMFORLESS. I talked with Bryan eariler today, and he seemed very knowledgable and took time to answer all of my questions and explained things thoroughly. I'm choosing the PCM for less b/c I don't want to drop 400 right off the bat for a tune. Also, I'm only planning one, MAYBE two more performance mods that MAY require tuning.

So if I did those two at the same time, which I would probobly do, I'ld only be out 50 bucks... and 250+50 = only 300.

say man to bad my truck wasnt stock when i had the hpp3. It was the same even when i got my tune. I went from 15.2 to a 14.7 spinning my *** off, and i know i could get a better time if i put a posi and ****. So pick who you want and we'll see whos is better.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:36 AM
I Like Gold!!!

Originally Posted by derek_silvy

edit:

say man to bad my truck wasnt stock when i had the hpp3. It was the same even when i got my tune. I went from 15.2 to a 14.7 spinning my *** off, and i know i could get a better time if i put a posi and ****. So pick who you want and we'll see whos is better.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:49 AM
Teching In

02denali- I guess since I'm not going to lose any sleep over which tune is better...I would like to see the .35 ths difference at the same track,same night with only a tune swap.... I did alot of drag racing (10.80 car) and to gain or lose a couple tenths in a week is normal (wheather condions,track conditions,different track etc..)-BJ
Old 07-30-2004, 06:50 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

well buddy thats exactly what happened. same night same track. ask lyndon about me he will remember me. he will also tell you that he tunes conservative. alllen tuned me that very night at the track. those were the times. if you wanted to see it you needed to be there. i know what tune is better imo. one of the best things is that i got my tune directly from allen in person. im sure that it helped out some as well. a lot of the gain came from the fact of no tqm. i told lyndon that i had a built tranny and he would not remove the tqm. it would fall on it's face when it shifted. pretty much i dont care what kind of racing you did in the past or will do now. there were at least 20 people there that night.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've spoken with two people that wouldn't take a nelson tune if they were free and some that wouldn't give it up for nothing. it's kind of a hit or miss. he's had a few issue's with trucks that occasionally wouldn't shift out of first at random. no doubt allen has a following with alot of trucks that put down some good times though. i have recomended bryan many times to people and his work also has made them happy along with having ridden in a truck with stock radix programming and bryans. it was quite a difference and certainly impressed me. it's odd i find that ed wright and prescribed for power never come into programming discussions.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

02denali, that seems pretty crappy that no matter what you said he wouldn't take out tqm. Either one that I decide to go with, I KNOW that it will be a better decision than a handheld, and I know that it will be a better decision for me than a westers would be.

Quick Reply: Nelson VS. PCMforless