Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson VS. PCMforless

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Nelson tune and I havent had a problem communicating with Allen at all. I have had 4 tunes from Allen and only twice have I talked to him on them phone because anytime I needed to talk to him I emailed him. The only time it took Allen more than 2 days to get abck with me was when his phone/email was screwed up a few months a go! I have seen a few people not being able to get in touch with him and one time it was because he was in Cali for a week the other I dont know what was going on and if it was me it wouldnt be acceptable! I think it is worth the very small chance that you cant get in touch with Allen for a great tune! All my tunes were mailorder and since the mods I have a very common the tunes have been perfect to me! You may ask what am i comparing this against and Ive had the Hypertech and a Westers tune! The Hypertech I dont need to comment on and the Westers I can! After the 8 month old Hypertech broke I got a Westers tune. The tune I got from Westers was a 93 octane"Hot Tune" and it killed the Hypertechs program but It wasnt what I had been hearing it should be. I gave it 500+ miles and then returned it. I then got a Nelson tune and believe me or not the Nelson tune with 60%TM removed was noticably stronger than the Westers tune with all the TM said to be removed! After I got the Transgo I got all the Tm removed by Allen and it was even better-obvioulsy. I never dynoed or went to the track before and after the Westers but what 02denali says about the Westers from my experience sounds correct. I dont know about the PCMfor less but Im sure it is a hell of alot better than stock and that is what we are looking for!
Old 07-30-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had 4 tunes from Allen and working on the 5th since May.
The reason so Many is MY fault because I wanted to keep trying differant things and I added bigger injectors. Allen was quick each time. Even when he was away I received my tune as soon as he got back.

I don't know of anyone that would tollerate my **** better than Allen.
I payed $300 for a 99 pcm during a group purchase and have gotten three times that in differant tunes. Allen even switched to a 02 pcm to give that a try, No questions asked. Each time responding to my emails. I waited some days but didn't get upset. I don't know anyone who isn't right strait out theses days.

When I saw Allen was tuning almost 80 Trucks alone for a group purchase I knew he was going to be busy. Plus manage all the crap that goes with it.

Were lucky those that don't have LS1edit/HP Tuners can have guys that know what there doing for a tune. PCMfor less, Allen etc...

Now after all the praise there's back stabbing going on

Do you guys see anyone from Hypertech/Diablo, Superchips talking here????
How much has everyone here spent trying one of those dam things??

My 99 has been real tricky to tune and It is by far the most important part of the truck.
Stay away from handhelds and if your not sure about who to tune by now than buy a laptop,efi,ls1edit etc for about $2000 and do it yourself. That equals a tune from Westers,Allen,pcm and Ed wright.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Teching In

denali- so Allen took the TQM out and Lyndon didnt...I think that would make up the difference...why Lyndon didnt take it out??? I cant answer that... and obviously Allen did- and as for the back to back test...thats cool I can respect that.."most" guys talk out there respective *****. "I gained 1.5 seconds with a new K/N filter!!"-LOL.

All I know is when I orderd my tune for partial towing,daily driver Lyndon said he will remove the TQM completely for me- now if he does that now and not before?? or because I have a stronger transmission I dont know??- but my truck is significantly quicker and faster on 87 octane than it was with the 93 octane PPG3 tune- and pulling a 6500lb trailer with 92 octane in it (I also have the duel octane tune) feels almost diesel like...maintaining 75-80 mph with ease- were the PPG3 was slightly better than stock.

I'm happy...your happy.... have a nice weekend-BJ

BTW- carring the front tires to the 60' lights on 33.5/18.5/15 DOT's with a 625 hp motor after letting the tranny brake go at 4800 rpm is about as cool as it gets.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

hey bigjohn--that sounds like a fast car.
he told me that he took it all out. but when we got in there we found that it was not removed. he removed all but 1.0% of it. that was enough to makew it fall. he will take out the majority of it. there at least 7 tables of tqm that i know of. do you have a shift kit and servo or the stock tranny. if it is stock then he will more than likely take out all engine tqm and leave about 25% to 50% of the tranny tqm. that is what i seen on a number of occasions. your new pcm is locked so it will be real hard to tell. good luck though. i thought that is was wierd that he would not remove it all even when i told him i had a built tranny.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Hey 02denali,

So how do you know for sure that 100% TQM is gone?

My buddy chingon got his with 100% supposidly pulled out and he still gets 30 degrees of timing pulled on the shifts...
Old 07-30-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there are two types of TM - one is engine TM, the other is tranny TM. The one that most people take out 100% after a shift kit install is tranny TM, but engine TM is left in. Not sure, but I believe this is how it works.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Chingon has 100% engine TQM pulled and 75% tranny TQM removed and still looses timing. We arnt sure why.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:35 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Naked AV
I think there are two types of TM - one is engine TM, the other is tranny TM. The one that most people take out 100% after a shift kit install is tranny TM, but engine TM is left in. Not sure, but I believe this is how it works.
I have 100% engine TM and 75% tranny TM removed. This is what Allen told me. I get 32* timing through 1st gear, right before I shift, the timing jumps up to 38*, then through the shift, it goes down to about 1* of timing.
Now, Allen is the tuner and I don't know anything about it, but it's still a good amount of timing being pulled. I always thought that when you remove TM, it lessens the amount of timing being pulled through the shift.
This is not the case with my truck. Before and after the Nelson tune, I still see a good 30* of timing being pulled through the shift.
Is this normal?
Old 07-30-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -= MacADaYear =-
150 for a PCM? Wow... they sell online all day for 40-50 bucks. Talk about a markup.
they mark it up that much to make you return a core. Making the core price really high will make you do the work in finding a usable core to return. probably saves them a lot time and hassles.

As tuners vs. tuners, I still love my Wester's and would highly recomend it to anyone. I've never had any troubles with responses or customer service.

I still believe the best bang for your buck is a dyno/driven tune. They help fix the small things that a mail order would miss.

02denali: I thought you gained the 4 tenths with a mail order tune from Nelson or did he just bring you a "boxed" tune to the track with him and then you dyno/driven tuned it later (not questioning what you did or didn't gain, been through that before )? have you run it with the spray on the track yet?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Hey who can tell me how to get a hold of bryan? I want to tune my 04 SS yesterday... I would like to tune the camaro too but that's in texas right now and i'm in Washington... TAD please tell me how to contact bryan...

Quick Reply: Nelson VS. PCMforless