Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson VS. PCMforless

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 06:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by work in progress
I believe throttle position dictates abuse during shifts. The computer doesn't know the truck has a shift kit or servo.
it mostly takes info from the maf sensor. tps has some effect, but the maf sensor is where it gets most of it's information on the tm.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 Sierra with a Whipple and have gotten this thing to run right.

Tried numerous tunes on the Predator and that didn't help. That's collecting dust now. I tried the Westers route as well and after 3 failed attempts at trying to get rid of detonation from my Whipple I chose to get a refund. I will say that Westers has great customer service but I feel that a dyno tune in person will always prevail over a mail order tune. I wouldn't hesitate to have him do a tune on a stock truck with minimal upgrades but with all the different variables it pays to have it done in person. If I was down in TX I would have Nelson tune it but since I'm in NJ I'm going to have Bryan at PCM for less dyno tune it soon. Also, upgrading to the marine injectors.

I'm sure either tunes will be fine; you just have to find someone local to you. My 2 cents.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Launching!

I ordered a PCMforless tune. I'dve gone with a Nelson's and was even signed up for his group purchase but I pied out of that cuz I blew my money at the last minute.

Brian seems really cool and he got the pcm sent out nice and quick. Three days from PA to CA. -not bad. Haven't installed it yet.

I'd say these two guys are really the way to go. It just depends on which price plan you want. Me, I couln't pay $490 straight up. Now $250 plus another $50 a few more times down the road is alot easier...for me.

As far as Westers, I see no reason at all to go with him. Not cuz he can't tune but it is more expensive than any other tune I've seen (especially for 03 and 04), and updates are $45 a pop. I don't see the justification especially since at least one person here has seen large improvements by going from Westers to Nelsons.

Anyway, I hope Nelsons and PCMforless continue operating for a long time. A little competition is a good thing.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink

[QUOTE=2003Silvyrado]
As far as Westers, I see no reason at all to go with him. Not cuz he can't tune but it is more expensive than any other tune I've seen (especially for 03 and 04), and updates are $45 a pop. I don't see the justification especially since at least one person here has seen large improvements by going from Westers to NelsonsQUOTE]

If you researched the company you would know that you get a full credit towards your next purchase. If you bought a 03 PCM and decided to change vehicles then instead of having to pay another 250 or 400 (if you went with Nelson's or PCMforless) for another tune you just contact Wester's and pay $45 instead. every tuner has pro's and con's
Old 08-14-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

That is cool if you get a new truck/car that he can/does tune. If I ordered two from pcmforless for less it is like ordering one from Nelson or Wester's.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

If your just wanting some little power gains an are not worried about getting the full performance out of your truck, then yea I can understand you guys going with PCMforless.
An it might be easier for some of you guys to just go ahead an buy a PCMforless, an save your preshious $$$ for now.

But just remember after we race, I will be waiting for you at the end of the track with my Nelson, waiting on you to pay up all that saved $$$.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigbody
If your just wanting some little power gains an are not worried about getting the full performance out of your truck, then yea I can understand you guys going with PCMforless.
An it might be easier for some of you guys to just go ahead an buy a PCMforless, an save your preshious $$$ for now.

But just remember after we race, I will be waiting for you at the end of the track with my Nelson, waiting on you to pay up all that saved $$$.

I just don't see it happen that way. Especially with forced induction tunes. first hand experience has shown which one is better.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't think price has to do with ability. first hand experience here also says they are about the same for performance.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigbody

Great you can out run somebody but we still have the extra 300 dollars to take a chick out at the end of the racing night.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Thought Id add my 2 cents. I paid $390 for a Nelson tune. Because of upgrades and other ,non-tune, issues I have had to change my tune 6 times in the last 3 months. Allen has returned every e-mail the same day I sent it to him. He has also answered my calls everytime, you just have to get him early before he gets busy. He has sent my tunes the day after Ive called him EVERYTIME. I have only paid $14 to ship back 2 PCMs at a time, so IM out another $32. Not bad for great customer service and a great tune.

Quick Reply: Nelson VS. PCMforless