Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nelson Or Westers for Blower application

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greentahoe
I paid for a Wester's tune specifically for my blower install. After waiting almost 6 weeks for the update, he sent me something I couldnt even drive with. It detonated badly even at part throttle. I wonder to this day how much damage was done to my pistons from this idiot. It took me 2 weeks to convince him I needed an update at which point he wanted me to prove to him that I actually had ASM 43lb injectors. My word wasnt good enough, he wanted part numbers which I didnt have. Like I would lie??!!! That idiot scammed me out of $500. Now I will do it with HPTuners or have Jeremy at RevExtreme help me.
Luckily my tune is drivable just a little annoying. I guess I may just have to breakdown and take a day off work and get to a custom Dyno guy. Synergy Motorsports was mentioned to me by F8TLZ71. I've still got that in my back pocket. I'm just trying to save a 2hr each way trip.

Flyer - If I went the HPTuner route do I need a laptop for logging? I can just see the tuning myself thing get real expensive and then when I get it where I want it, I'd probably never use it again.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hdhorsepower
the first thing is your abs light on ?i have been told that the gm bcm and abs could not take a 4.88 gear there was not enough adjustment .i have been told this by a few guys that have the 4.88 that is why i went with 4.56.but i also have the superlift computer that corrects the gear ratio and tire size for the computer.my shift points were dead on with this add on box.if your satisfied with the power of your tune i would go with the superlift add on.if not i have a westers tune in my truck and he has done about 4 retunes for me as i have upgraded on my engine.as i just added a radix to my truck the first tune for that was way too conservative as it pulled the timing back to almost zero but i should have a new tune tommorow.i also just purchased efi live so i can log my passes and a wide bando2.you cant expect someone to do a great tune on a vehicle thats been modified like yours and mine threw the mail with no vehicle sensor inputs or you risk not making alot of power .
No abs light and speedo is perfect. I think the shift points would be better matched to a 4.56 gear set, but the early TC lockup and refusal to downshift is weird. I knew in the back of my head when I started making more and more changes that the tuning would get tougher and more critical. I think I am just gonna have to breakdown and do it right, just exploring options, for me the simpler the better I just can't seem to get any time.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Yes you will need a laptop for HPTumers but it will save you alot of money in the long run. Besides, your tune can always be improved upon and the scanning tool is always a necessity.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes .. you would need a laptop like green said. You can pick them up on eBay for cheap now days though.

Are you ever 'done' with your truck?
Old 12-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chevmann99
So with the mods listed below, who do you think can better serve me with a good proper tune, Westers or Nelson.
Wester's and Nelson's both offer the same levels of customization and tuning expertise; both have extensive dyno and tuning experience. Your best bet would be to focus on the customer service aspects of each and ask the hard questions: What level of customization is available? What's the price? What kind of warranty/upgrade policy do you have?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

3 nelsons tunes here...all have been great..
Old 12-22-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bud8fan
3 nelsons tunes here...all have been great..
Ditto for me...3 progressively adavnced tunes and I am a happy camper with Nelsons. The only thing better would be a dyno tune where the changes could be made specifically for that particular truck, as opposed to a truck with X,Y, and Z mods.