Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

new 6.0 swap. down the drain

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 6.0 swap. down the drain

Well guys, i think I might just hang up the keys. I did the swap about a month ago. the motor ran real smooth. i installed a 9 pound pully, and made a few logs. the most kr i got at any given point was 1.6. the truck ran real strong and ran a 13.5 on the g-tech with spinnin the tires off takeoff.
well today on my way to work i thought id give it another go since the weather was real cool. (around 75f) and around the top of second, i felt something change in the motor. i coasted through the shift and into 3rd with no gas and still ran a 13.5! i immediatly could tell something was wrong. i had a bad vibration in the pedal. the truck seems to idle the same, but as soon as you give it gas, its like im draggin something heavy and i feel the vibration. All the way home i noticed that my torque converter didnt lock up. it stayed unlocked all the way home. strange huh. I pulled the code and got a po307 missfire or ignition. number 7 cylinder missfire. Dammit! I think i may sell everything and just go back to stock if i can. I pulled the valve cover and my comp 918 springs look fine. no busted spring that i can tell. im fixing to swap the spark plug wires, but im sure it isnt that easy. I dont have a compression tester anymore. but im gonna test compression soon. Any thoughts? the unlocking of the yank 3000 stall has me confused. but the vibration is there at idle in all the gears too.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Why don't you check out plug #7, could be a simple broken/burnt wire, dead plug. That might keep the TC from locking up.

[vulture mode]If you do put everything to stock.. Are you gonna keep the 6.0L or sell it?[/vulture mode]
Old 07-29-2004, 12:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Misfires will unlock the converter.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

thanks man... i totally forgot to check the plug, usually its always something major with me. there is a pic of the culprit! no plug gap! whew.. now, do you think it just melted down, or the piston slapped it? the truck seems to run fine now.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Looks like meltdown
Old 07-29-2004, 01:24 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, misfire codes cause the converter to not lock. Hopefully you just burnt a plug. I melted one off so bad in the lightning I used to have (only 3000 miles on a new motor) that it stripped the threads outta the head coming out. Pull the plug before you go any farther.

EDIT: Beat me to it, huh? Sounds like you might have lucked out. Keep a close eye on it, hopefully all is well.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get some logging software !!!

Maybe running a little richer will help cool things down too.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:42 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Flyer
Get some logging software !!!

Maybe running a little richer will help cool things down too.
Yes! Logging! With no logging software, the best you can do is guess.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never seen a plug do that. It got so hot that the ground electrode moved down? Is that what over-lean can do? What about the other seven?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, like others said...log your runs dude. Do you have LS1edit? I can help you tune your fuel perfectly if you have edit and logging software. (well perfectly if you have a wideband O2, but pretty darn close if you just get O2s around .093)

If you want to try it soon, what you need to change (if you know you are lean) is in the Engine Cal->Fuel tab->Power Enrichment area on the right -> click on the RPM button. Log a run and where it goes lean increase the amount of fuel a bit. For example, set it to the next higher number multiplier value next to the lean section. If you are lean all over, increase all cells from 1200 on up by 5% (so muliply 1200rpm and up cells by 105) fudge 800rpm cell by doing it like 3% increase. Run again and log.

There is a little bit more to it than what I just stated, but it will get you close so you don't go lean. If you want dead on accuracy and to tune for power you need a wideband O2 sensor.

Just for what it's worth...I run Autolite 104 plugs gapped at 38.

Quick Reply: new 6.0 swap. down the drain