Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New to the Board.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Board.

Hey My name is Berni and about a month ago I bought a 2000 silverado. It has 29,000 miles on it and from what i can tell it has JBA Headers, Whipple Supercharger, and traction bars. I took it to the track about 2 weeks and ran a best 14.00@102 Mph with a 2.1 60'. I was a little disappointed because i thought for sure it would run a high 13. What i noticed is that those converters that come stock only stalls at about1,500 rpm and then the tires start spinning. What kind of torque converters are you all using and how much are they? Also what can i do to make the truck faster?

Also iam haveing a problem with the tranny. When i go full throttle it will not shift into the next gear, it will hit the rev limitier and will not go into the next gear until i get off the gas. Is my tranny going out? I know that the guy that had the truck before had a power programmer and i think that he might messed with the shift points. Anyway i look forward to spending time here and would apreciate any help that you guys can give me.

I also want to thank parish8 for pointing me here to this site.

Iam going to try to post pics.I hope they work.

http://www.neufamily.org/hosted%20stuff/engine%2002.jpg
http://www.neufamily.org/hosted%20stuff/Image08.jpg
http://www.neufamily.org/hosted%20stuff/Image09.jpg
Old 08-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Truck addict

welcome to the site first off!

the choices for converters are easy, you can get a yank tt3000 (which is probably the most popular), a vigilante converter or save some money and get a TCI. any one of those will throw you into the 13's easily.

as far as your shift points. if the previous owner had a programmer on there, he could have taken it off and left you with nothing. or he just didn't know how to program it. my advice would be to take it to GM and have them flash it then get LS1edit. If all you want is a handheld, you can get an hypertech for cheap on ebay and i think that will adjust your shift points.

good luck with your truck.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:36 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard, you'll find lots of good info here. 14.00 isn't bad at all. There are plenty of guys here who can help you get those times down.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Hey goshawk23 are you saying that i can change those shift points with any other powere programmer. I was under the impression that if i used it on my truck no one else could use on any other truck. Do you think that my tranny is going out? By the way do you know how much each of those converter that you mentioned are as far as price goes? Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:22 AM
I Like Gold!!!

u could get any of those converters on the board for about $500 or so brand new. just wait untill someone sells one....oh btw nice to have you here.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Welcome. That's a REALLY nice truck.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys for all of the replies i really appreciate it. The first thing that i want to do is get that tranyy issue worked out.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00blacktrailwagon
Thanks guys for all of the replies i really appreciate it. The first thing that i want to do is get that tranyy issue worked out.
I'm confused, when I bought my Kenne Bell they programmed everything including the shift points. I was under the impression that they have to program it because of the extra fuel delivery. Now I know these aren't the same exact setup but I would assume you have bigger injectors and the HPP won't help with fuel delivery. And i'm not sure you want to mess with the computer at all especially if whipple has already flashed it once. My guess, is the one who oned it before you tried to program it after whipple did and might have screwed something up. Check with whipple and see if they programmed it. Then if you are still considering the HPPIII you can buy the one I still have. Please if I'm wrong someone speak up, because i'm really not sure how whipple does things.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

hi. nice truck. welcome to the board
Old 08-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Truck addict

check with the previous owner if you can to see what was done as far as tuning. It could be something as simple as new tires or wheels that were installed and that has thrown your shifts off. or there could have been a gear swap done but i doubt this is the problem. i do believe it is computer related.

if it doesn't have any tune other than stock in it, you will be able to throw something on there to correct the problem. if there is a tune on there currently and it is out of whack so to speak, only thing i know to do is flash it at the dealership and get a new tuner/handheld since you don't have one.

Quick Reply: New to the Board.