Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New to the Board.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 04:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi bernie, welcome to the site. first off is your whipple a single or dual pulley ? second, the guy should have returned the pcm to stock before he had the whipple installed, if he left hppIII programing in he should have given you the programmer as it is locked to your truck and useless too him [unless he's an *** and sold it to someone in unusable form] if you have a newer single belt whipple w/ aux inj's i highly suggest getting larger inj's a custom tune and ditching the aux in'js and whipple computer. you will gain quite a bit of power and your truck will run better and be more reliable. search this forum for " nelson tune for whipple" to see the discussion and procedure for doing this mod. if it's a two pulley the jury is still out as to the bypass, not sure what happened with denali's truck. anyway, try contacting allen nelson at nelsonperformance.com , if you bypass the whipple he can set you up with a tune and if your trans issues are pcm related he can fix that too, when you swap the pcm. ask anyone here who's done it, the difference is night and day. e
Old 08-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Launching!

there you go sounds like you have a great path to follow
Old 08-08-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

welcome aboard, nice truck
Old 08-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Teching In

The guy that built the truck actually got into some trouble and is in jail for 10 years. As far as tune i know the shop where he got all of his stuff done. From the looks of it, it has bigger injectors and also the whipple computer. I will go ahead and go to the shop that he had all this stuff done to it and ask them to give me a list of what all he done to it. Thanks guys for all of your help.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

when you say "bigger inj's" do you mean the two inj's in front of the intake manifold ? most people [myself included] can't tell the size of the inj just by looking at it in the rail. if those are there [aux] and the computer is hooked up you most likely don't have the larger inj's. you did'nt say if it was a single pulley. if you don't know the difference, look at the thread i mentioned earlier, there are pics of both. get all the info you can from the shop, then let us know. the conversion is simple but will cost about $800, for the inj's and tune. if you really do have the bigger inj's it's about half that for the tune. e
Old 08-10-2004, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Thats a sweet truck!! Very nice. As others have stated, you are going to need to find out what was done. Depending on how far you want to go with it, you will either need a good tune or some tuning software. HPTuners is about $500 and includes a scanning tool that will give you a good idea as to what is going on and make changes as they are needed when you do other mods.
Getting rid of the whipple crap and getting bigger injectors will definatly help you out.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:22 AM
Teching In

UPDATE: I went to the shop where the guy had all the work and found out that he had more that $2000 just in labor costs, because the parts that were installed were all brought in by him.

He did bring in the Whipple and headers in himself and had it installed with the injectors that come with the kit. They also used a power programmer and upped the shift points and firmness of the shifts. The also installed the whipple computer.

They also did 4:10 gears and a posi and a boost a pump and that is about it. If you guys have any other comments please help me out.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

did you look at that thread ? the inj's that come with the whipple are the two that sit in front of the manifold. the computer lies to the pcm and compensates [ kinda] by supplying the extra fuel with those inj's. if you are ok with the performance or are'nt willing to spend some money, leave it alone. actually, you might want to call whipple, they told me six monthes ago they would upgrade my computer [whipple] for free. the other option is the inj's and a tune. you can get logging and programming software, but, unless you're more talented than most of us, your gonna need a pro tuners help anyway. cheaper to dyno tune locally, or mail order from nelson. ps; the logging software does'nt help if the whipple computer is online, your readings are modified. e