Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New engine & heads burning oil badly :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006 | 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

If you are 100% positive on the shortblock then it is pretty plain and simple to say the problem is in the heads.

I would try seals first and see where that gets you it is a time consuming taste but not impossible with the heads on.

While you have the seal off each valve see how much slop is in the guides. If the new seals fail to do the trick you are looking at a poor valve seat as your next problem.

Also this engine still is on break in so it will consume some oil it is not unheard of there are a few TSB's on this matter, but the smoke on start up leads it to be more than just the typical chevy LSX oil cosumption.

I would have to say it is in the heads and engine for oil cosumption but on startup it is the heads.
Old 06-18-2006 | 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zick
...by Lingenfelter from a Escalade that they were putting a 427 twin turbo engine into
DAMN!! I say DAMN!!!
Old 06-19-2006 | 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

[QUOTE=LJ93Z28GM]If the valve guides are sloppy that could be the issue as well. It is common for them to just reuse the guides and not replace them or knurl or bush them in any way. Maybe they did not replace the stem seals who knows.
QUOTE]

100% Incorrect

The guides in these heads are OEM new GM guides. As far as reusing used guides, knurling them, or using liners, we do not use these practices when fitting the valve stem to the valve guides.

All of our heads are pressure checked before they leave our facility. We have not had a leak in a 243 casting.
Old 06-19-2006 | 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Never seen any of your heads or work just stating what to look for.

Never stated that it was your practice to use poor parts or bad mouthed patriot directly.

Thanks for clarifying what parts you change and your practices.

Maybe his heads are used or worked over by someone else who knows just trying to help out you could give him some insight as well.
Old 06-19-2006 | 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Why did you modify the pcv system I don't see any forced induction in you sig? You might try putting it back to stock. There is a redesigned pcv valve for these trucks that use a calibrated oriface instead of a check valve you might try. You need to follow all of the instructions in the service bulletin if you do. If you have enough blowby to need a catch can I would suspect rings.
Old 06-19-2006 | 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LJ93Z28GM
Never seen any of your heads or work just stating what to look for.

Never stated that it was your practice to use poor parts or bad mouthed patriot directly.

Thanks for clarifying what parts you change and your practices.

Maybe his heads are used or worked over by someone else who knows just trying to help out you could give him some insight as well.

Patriot AFAIK do all their own machine work. There are a ton of guys using them over on LS1Tech without any complaints.
Gunnar is sending me some new seals to try out. I guess we'll see what happens after that.
Old 06-19-2006 | 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
Why did you modify the pcv system I don't see any forced induction in you sig? You might try putting it back to stock. There is a redesigned pcv valve for these trucks that use a calibrated oriface instead of a check valve you might try. You need to follow all of the instructions in the service bulletin if you do. If you have enough blowby to need a catch can I would suspect rings.

My truck originally came with the fixed orifice and not the check valve. I just put the catch can on there because it does still put some oil through the line into the intake manifold. I'm just trying to keep the intake & pistion portion as oil free as I can.

Its not really needed, more a peace of mind kind of thing.
Old 06-19-2006 | 09:23 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Zick
My truck originally came with the fixed orifice and not the check valve. I just put the catch can on there because it does still put some oil through the line into the intake manifold. I'm just trying to keep the intake & pistion portion as oil free as I can.

Its not really needed, more a peace of mind kind of thing.
...I believe that the catch can is needed...I switched from my original spring and plunger PCV to the fixed orifice and like you said, it still sucked oil. I actually switched back to my original style PCV after installing the AMW catch can as the combo of the catch can and fixed orifice made an annoying whistle.

If you want to rule out rings, do a dry compression test, then a wet compression test. Basically check compression in each cylinder and record your readings and see if they're within spec. Next shoot some oil into the cylinder and perform the test again. If compression increases, the rings in that cylinder/cylinders are NG.
Old 06-19-2006 | 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by budhayes3
...I believe that the catch can is needed...I switched from my original spring and plunger PCV to the fixed orifice and like you said, it still sucked oil. I actually switched back to my original style PCV after installing the AMW catch can as the combo of the catch can and fixed orifice made an annoying whistle.

If you want to rule out rings, do a dry compression test, then a wet compression test. Basically check compression in each cylinder and record your readings and see if they're within spec. Next shoot some oil into the cylinder and perform the test again. If compression increases, the rings in that cylinder/cylinders are NG.

You do that with a warm engine correct?
Old 06-20-2006 | 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by budhayes3

the reason it whistled and sucked oil is because you didn't follow all the steps in the gm service bulletin I fixed a lot of trucks doing this and never had one whistle. I'm running 12-15psi and don't need a catch can a catch can is a patch for worn out engines unless you are runn a ton of boost.

Quick Reply: New engine & heads burning oil badly :(