Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New engine recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine recommendations

I've decided to upgrade my Tahoe to a whole new, performance oriented engine. I'm hoping that you guys will be able to point me in a right direction. Here are my preferences:

- I would like to purchase the whole new and already modded engine,
- I'm after fantastic accelleration but not top speed; the end result is not supposed to propel me into space but should be very compettive on the street;
- this is going to be my daily ride so fuel economy is of importance; I'm not after squeezig 25m/g on a highway but getting on avg. 8m/g would worry me. 12-14 is acceptable.
- I have a ProCharger installed on my otherwise completely stock engine (this was a bad idea to begin with and a whole new topic in itself) and I'd like to reuse it in this new setup
- should I also consier new transmission?
- upgraded Tahoe shold be very fun to drive!

There are a lot of engines available on the internet but I'm a noob and unless I buy something that's already completely modded I'll not be able to do it myself. However, I'll easily be able to tell if I like the mod or not. There are racing engines from many vendors but even though I won't be racing I'd like to retain their power on the street. 383 strokers sound and perform fantastic and are affordable but do they make sense when compared to what I'd like. My Tahoe is full of electronics and some of these 383 engines seem like a brute force.

So any advice you might have, perhaps even an engine that I'm interested in for sale, reliable vendors to buy from or any other relevant pointers you are willing to share I'd really appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

mast motorsports
Old 07-30-2010, 02:22 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Subscribing.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:56 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give these guys a call: http://www.proheads.com/

Richard is absolutely awesome to talk to and from what I've learned here, Rex builds a mean, reliable mill I can't say enough good things about WCCH.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think before we go anywhere with what you want, is HOW MUCH COIN YOU HAVE IN YOUR PIGGY BANK?? And to let you know your tahoe with a set of heads, cam stall, good gears on 10-11ps should be a low low 13-12 second ride
Old 08-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by terravast4
mast motorsports
indeed they make some great engines. There is a substantial difference in price between models. This website (http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...Category=12518) has prices.

Is the price between these, for example, two engines worth it?
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=239254 and http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=249276
Old 08-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I think before we go anywhere with what you want, is HOW MUCH COIN YOU HAVE IN YOUR PIGGY BANK?? And to let you know your tahoe with a set of heads, cam stall, good gears on 10-11ps should be a low low 13-12 second ride
I don't have an unlimited budget for that but I realize that $3-5K is not gonna cut it either. Maybe doing the mods in an incremental steps would be a way to go but there as many opinions on what should be done in what order as there are parts to upgrade with. Plus having the car out of commission for each individual upgrade would not be convenient. I think that for someone who's not in position to do any work himself would be to buy something in a single package.

"good gears on 10-11ps should be low low 13-12 second ride" - I didn't get that. You mean I'd be getting only 12m/g at most and this shouldn't be my daily ride?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Give these guys a call: http://www.proheads.com/

Richard is absolutely awesome to talk to and from what I've learned here, Rex builds a mean, reliable mill I can't say enough good things about WCCH.
I'll certainly give them a call. I checked out their website but I didn't see any modded engines, just parts and services. I'll find out more when I call them. Thanks for help!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gonna prob spend 6k+ on a motor and trans...If you only have 3-5 just but a stock 6.0 put a cam in it,pick up a trans and have fun with it..
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by andrew383
Your gonna prob spend 6k+ on a motor and trans...If you only have 3-5 just but a stock 6.0 put a cam in it,pick up a trans and have fun with it..
It's a 5.3 engine, bare-bone, no mods at all. People are saying that a swap to 6.0L is worth it and I'm not opposed to it as long as it's not going to be a disappointment.Are you saying I should consider modding my existing 5.3 engine with cam, heads and perhaps better transmission? I don't mind going down that route if I'm not going to be disappointed with the end result.

Like I said in my previous posts; since I don't know much about how to pick proper parts I thought that buying already modded motor will do the trick for me. But with some help I can certainly consider other possibilities.

Quick Reply: New engine recommendations