Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New engine is tearing itself apart!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L-EATER
Just outta curiosity, did you have any oil pressure issues with this motor? It doesn't take much oil loss for these things to eat themselves up. I ran one for a total of maybe 60 seconds with no oil pressure this was starting and shutting off several times trying to fix a no oil pressure problem (which was caused by a piece of bearing that got in the oil pump and stuck the relief valve) Just a few dry starts and the whole motor was toast.

You need to pay close attention to the cylinder walls when you take it down. I would guess that they are scored from the metal in the oil. I hope not, I honestly hope you have some good luck for a change.
Had no oil pressure issues at all. Same oil pressure the day we took it apart as the day when it was first started. It may be a while before I get the engine out, but when I do I will take it to the builder and let him inspect it all.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im glad you found the problem even though its still an expensive fix but hopefully you will get the labor for free. At least you dont have any real damage! The crank can be polished easily and at least you caught it before you spun a bearing so maybe your cylinder walls didnt get affected. Let me ask you this man are you using the stock truck oil pump? I know that lack of oiling can cause a spun bearring easily. Im using the stock truck pump but will be buying a ported LS6 very soon just for piece of mind. Hope It works out for you man!