Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New exhaust decision help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts
Default New exhaust decision help

I have treated myself to a new set of Pacesetter headers for my birthday and have decided to redo my entire exhaust in the process since I am selling my Hamms and complete exhaust all together. Here is my delema... I love the way my current truedual dumps sound most of the time but the constant droaning and rattleing in the cab has gotten worse since the H/C. So I am wanting to go back to a single 3" with a large case Magnaflow and a cutout in order to 1) make it quieter and have more exhaust velocity for low rpm driving and 2) to provide a better reading in teh intermediate pipe for my wideband. Two problems with this though... I love how clean the truck looks with the dumps and I really cant make a decision on an exit type and location. Second, I am not sure what size pipe to use for my pre-Y pipes. The Pacesetters have a 3" collector so I could use 3" pipe for the whole system or use reducers and go 2.5" before the Y and 3" after. I will evenutally be going with a built 6.0 and possibly some type of FI but that will be a ways down the road so It will just be my current setup of the h/c 5.3 and dryshot for a while.
*Cliffnotes*
So here is what is currently in my head...
Pacesetters -> 2.5" into 3" Y -> 3" QTP -> 3" single in/out 5x8x18 magnaflow -> inconspicuious exit just infront of rear tire.
What do you guys think??
Old 03-23-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.slowls1.com/tmuff.jpg

have you tried the dynomax round mufflers? I thought mine was gonan be to loud but its very tame at idle. Its semi loud at cruise speeds though.

Magnaflows are very quiet in my opinion. My buddie has a single magnaflow on his truck and its to quiet for him so he's takeing it off. I have one on my car and with heads/cam and offroad pipe its friggin quiet also. Mags are good flowing but seem to quiet for me likes

wish i could help more.. goodluck
Old 03-23-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to reconsider. The y pipe will kink off your top end power, on the bottle especially. Maybe dual cut-outs if you stick with the idea. Or a more aggressive exhaust lobe.