Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New exhaust or new muffler on 03 Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New exhaust or new muffler on 03 Tahoe?

I am wondering how the stock exhaust piping is on a 2003 Tahoe 5.3, because I was thinking of just replacing the stock muffler with a Borla Pro XS. How much horsepower would I leave on the table by not going with a custom mandrel bent cat back single 3" (assuming it would fit) with the Borla muffler? I want something that is quiet and not flashy (ie big chrome tips). Also, is there a muffler out there that would be quieter than the Borla with the same hp gains? Any input helps. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Almost any aftermarket muffler is going to be noisy and have some drone and little seat of the pants feel and it's possible to loose botton end feel.Do yourself a favor and have a custom tune done first with a Nelsons or a westers,Now you have something that feels tangible.After all the muffler swaps I have done the HD flo-pro flows well and has minimal drone.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My Corsa CatBack, Single Side Exit Came In Yesterday.

I will be putting it on soon and report here in a new thread. I got the "Touring" edition, the quieter of the two, the "Sport" being the louder one. It is a far cry in price from just a muffler, but it is supposed to be dead silent in the cab and has a straight through flow design.
We will see.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therock
I will be putting it on soon and report here in a new thread. I got the "Touring" edition, the quieter of the two, the "Sport" being the louder one. It is a far cry in price from just a muffler, but it is supposed to be dead silent in the cab and has a straight through flow design.
We will see.
I'm still waiting on my Corsa to come in
Old 01-19-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Almost any aftermarket muffler is going to be noisy and have some drone and little seat of the pants feel and it's possible to loose botton end feel.Do yourself a favor and have a custom tune done first with a Nelsons or a westers,Now you have something that feels tangible.After all the muffler swaps I have done the HD flo-pro flows well and has minimal drone.
I am planning on getting a Nelson tune shortly. So far I just have Volant intake, but that alone made a huge difference; I picked up a lot of low end and part-throttle acceleration. About the muffler, I just assumed that since the stock one is almost 3 feet long that it was very restrictive. What would I expect to gain with just a Borla muffler swap? And where can I find an HD flo-pro?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I just climbed under my truck and found out that the stock exhaust is a single 2.5" in and dual 2.5" out that merge back into to a single pipe. Assuming I just replace the muffler, would I want to go with that setup, or just do a single in, single out 2.5"?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default You already have a single in and out.

Originally Posted by txss
I just climbed under my truck and found out that the stock exhaust is a single 2.5" in and dual 2.5" out that merge back into to a single pipe. Assuming I just replace the muffler, would I want to go with that setup, or just do a single in, single out 2.5"?
First, the mufflers on our NBS trucks and Tahoes are 24" long and the Tahoes and Suburbans are like the SS Silverado in having a dual outlet that is really only one. Don't ask me why, I have seen them cut open and only one of the Y-outlets flow.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

they "extra" y section i belive is just for noise and resonence from what ive read.
you can easily just and a muffler to you setup and wouldnt really gain anything noticable from the complete catback on a stock motor. plus keep your stock look
Old 01-19-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

If I had it to do over I would have gotten some nice headers and a cutout. Catbacks and mufflers are a waste IMO. Im talking HP per $ of course.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
they "extra" y section i belive is just for noise and resonence from what ive read.
you can easily just and a muffler to you setup and wouldnt really gain anything noticable from the complete catback on a stock motor. plus keep your stock look
I agree. From what I can tell looking under the truck, GM did a pretty good job with the piping (no severe crimping or bends), so I figure why spend $800 on a Corsa when an $150 muffler will get almost the same results.

Quick Reply: New exhaust or new muffler on 03 Tahoe?