Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust setup

I'm planning on changing my exhaust soon. Right now I only have a Magnaflow in place of the stock muffler. I really like the sound of it except for some slight drone at aruond 2K rpm. I think the drone is because of it being under the area between my bed and cab. It is 18" long and I think 5"x8" case. I am planning on going with Pacesetter Lt's with a custom ory and 3" pipe into an Aerochamber or larger Magnaflow pushed back as far as possible and dumped behind the axle near the stock location. Now for the questions:

1. Is it worth it to get the headers from Jet Hot with the better coating or will the Pacesetter coating stand up just as good? I live in Florida and don't go offroad much. I definitely want them to look good for years to come, but I could use the difference in price to pay for a muffler.

2. I am looking for a quiet exhaust with a good rumble. I like it nice and deep at idle, almost not even heard on the highway, and to scream at WOT. As stated above I really like the magnaflow except for some drone which I think could be fixed. The question is what should I do for a muffler to compensate for the removal of the cats? Does the Aerochamber sound similar to Magnaflow? Should I step up to a larger Magnaflow?

3. Will a single 3" pipe be good for my truck? I have larger tires and probably weigh quite a bit. I don't want to lose any torque or bottom end.

4. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO the pacesetter's ceramic coating is just as good as the jet hot appearance/coverage wise. i think theirs is supposed to hold up to more heat which isn't really necessary.
my setup is in my sig. i used the pacesetter lt's. and their ORY. modded the ORY to fit the cats in there to be obdII compliant/emissions compliant/warranty compliant . right now I dont have my super 40 series hooked up, just straight dumped right under the back seat area and it sounds good all around. the flowmaster I had dumped right over the axle and was very pleased with the daily driveability of the muffler with my setup. it wasn't loud unless I was on it good in the upper rpm's. so many people on here hate flows, but i tend to like their sound for a daily driven "quieter" truck. if you want a true performance muffler that's gonna give a more aggressive sound the magnaflow straight through mufflers are sweet. as for my lowend torque, I can't really feel any loss. with tuning it's a lot better than stock.. so there ya go. im willing to help out with anything you need, just shoot me a pm.

jake
Old 11-28-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

i am about to get a magnaflow 4x9x18 (even louder...slightly) and i am going to dump it. i have been trying to decide between getting extra pipe so i can push the muffler as far back as possible (i too dont want drone) or just putting it right where the stock muffler is and a turn down right after the magnaflow. how bad is the drone? i was trying to avoid buying extra piping to save money and effort.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is no drone with the super 40 pretty much.
right now with no muffler, at 2200 i go deaf. so i just drive fast
Old 11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
right now with no muffler, at 2200 i go deaf. so i just drive fast
This man's got it!

Go with a straight-through muffler for max performance, but you might have a drone. If you do, install some type of resonator, either a smaller straight-through muffler or something like a dynomax bullet.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
This man's got it!

Go with a straight-through muffler for max performance, but you might have a drone. If you do, install some type of resonator, either a smaller straight-through muffler or something like a dynomax bullet.
Didn't you just ask basically the same question in another thread?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mabutler
Didn't you just ask basically the same question in another thread?
Yes, but I haven't personally heard one on a GM motor. I've heard some on fords and a few imports (boosted 240's and honda's), but not on a GM...

Thanks for being so observant...
Old 11-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
Yes, but I haven't personally heard one on a GM motor. I've heard some on fords and a few imports (boosted 240's and honda's), but not on a GM...

Thanks for being so observant...
Sorry, I didnt mean to be rude if you took it that way. I was just confused on how you were answering my question but then asked the same question a few minutes afterwards. It sounds like we are both looking to find out the same thing. I don't want something that is going to be obnoxious and annoying. I like my set up and don't want to get any louder once I put on the Lt's and take off the cats.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dropkick13
i am about to get a magnaflow 4x9x18 (even louder...slightly) and i am going to dump it. i have been trying to decide between getting extra pipe so i can push the muffler as far back as possible (i too dont want drone) or just putting it right where the stock muffler is and a turn down right after the magnaflow. how bad is the drone? i was trying to avoid buying extra piping to save money and effort.
On mine it looks like they had to put in some extra pipe to make it fit no matter what. I think the stock muffler was longer, looks to be about 4" of pipe that was put in. The drone isn't bad at all most of the time, but sometimes I can really hear it around 2,000 rpm and its almost a flat sound which I don't like. At idle and above 2,500 rpm it sounds great. It's kinda weid because today I couldn't hear it at all, but tomorrow I probably will. I'm pretty picky. Most people who ride with me don't even hear it and think it sounds great.

I could try to get a sound clip of mine if you want.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

sound clip would be great, idle, light acceleration, cruise, heavy acceleration...whatever you wanna get!
I wont need extra pipe if i put the turn down directly after the muffler...but this might drone too much. o well...sounds like most people 'guess and test' with their exhaust set ups...guess ill have to do the same

Quick Reply: New exhaust setup