Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dropkick13
sound clip would be great, idle, light acceleration, cruise, heavy acceleration...whatever you wanna get!
I wont need extra pipe if i put the turn down directly after the muffler...but this might drone too much. o well...sounds like most people 'guess and test' with their exhaust set ups...guess ill have to do the same
well, what I might think sounds very aggressive may sound shitty to someone else ya know. all that matters is if you're pleased with your setup
Old 11-28-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

I can tell you the JBA exhaust is a very mellow one. I'm assuming it would be similar to a Magnaflow-muffler-only system, but I couldn't say for sure. It's pretty quiet if you don't get on it, like normal daily driving. The only time the drone is bad (in a Yukon) is when I'm cruising about 70. Drone gets pretty bad then...
Old 11-29-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

ah well, with the subs and amp i have, drone really won't be heard haha

how expensive is piping anyway? i have to weld the muffler in because its 3" in/out and stock piping is 2.75" so i cant just play around with muffler placement as easy.
if piping is realtively expensive than ill probably just put the new muffler welded right where the stocker is followed by a turndown right off the muffler and pray it doesnt drone too bad. if piping is not expensive than ill go ahead and move the muffler back as far away from the cab as possible (would i weld extra piping to the stock piping or just replace it all?)
Old 11-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dropkick13
ah well, with the subs and amp i have, drone really won't be heard haha

how expensive is piping anyway? i have to weld the muffler in because its 3" in/out and stock piping is 2.75" so i cant just play around with muffler placement as easy.
if piping is realtively expensive than ill probably just put the new muffler welded right where the stocker is followed by a turndown right off the muffler and pray it doesnt drone too bad. if piping is not expensive than ill go ahead and move the muffler back as far away from the cab as possible (would i weld extra piping to the stock piping or just replace it all?)
I tried to get some sound clips and you couldn't even hear it in the cab so I guess its not that bad. I don't think piping is that expensive. They just used scrap for mine so it was free. A while back I think I bough a 5' piece for like $40. If you don't care how it looks underneath then I would just weld it to the stock pipe. You might want to just put the muffler on and see how it sounds then you could either put the turn down on or run it back further if its too loud.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have dual 3 inch ys from my headers and going to convert to true dual now.

this muffler magnaflow sells is a dual 3 inch in/out with internal x pipe and flows great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270038556329

right now i have a single in/single out magnaflow but there are duals coming into it that is y'd to the single inlet thats why im getting rid of the muffler.

here is a clip and yes its loud. with the bigger magnaflow above it will give you the sound your looking for and will not resonate in the cab or drone
ps- the muffler i have now is a 5x8x18 3 inch offset entry/3 inch center exit

HERE Is the new muffler

Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mabutler
I tried to get some sound clips and you couldn't even hear it in the cab so I guess its not that bad. I don't think piping is that expensive. They just used scrap for mine so it was free. A while back I think I bough a 5' piece for like $40. If you don't care how it looks underneath then I would just weld it to the stock pipe. You might want to just put the muffler on and see how it sounds then you could either put the turn down on or run it back further if its too loud.
40 bux?!? damn that's expensive. for a 8' piece I paid 15 bux . through work I can get a whole stick (22ft.) for about 37 bux. 3" aluminized exhaust tubing. now, 40 bux for a 5' piece of 3" 22ga. 304 stainless tubing sounds right, non-annealed.

anyways, tubing is cheap
btw when asking for exhaust piping/tubing make sure you know what to get. measure the diameter of the ports you're wanting to connect. if it's 3" inside diameter, you need some 3" tubing to go into that. if it's 3" outside diameter, you need some 3" pipe to fit over that. pipe = ID tube = OD
just a little info
Old 11-29-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

also, if you're needing to weld the 2.75" to the 3", you can get expanded adapters to fit it properly... otherwise you could just weld the gap, 1/8" isn't much, 1/4" is stretching it and that's a lotta weld to plug.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can get you sound clips tomorrow of my 4.8L with pacesetters, 3" exhaust and a 5x11x22 magnaflow. I have my coming out right after the axle so you can't see it.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
also, if you're needing to weld the 2.75" to the 3", you can get expanded adapters to fit it properly... otherwise you could just weld the gap, 1/8" isn't much, 1/4" is stretching it and that's a lotta weld to plug.
am i going to **** off a welder if i ask him to plug the .25" gap? haha someone else on here or another forum said they did this and it wasnt a problem.

im just going to put the magnaflow 4x9x18 right where the stocker is, and dump it immediately after. if it drones too much, ill buy a few more feet of pipe, cut off the muffler somewhere in the stock pipe, weld in the extension, and push the muffler as far back as possible. I'll let you all know how it wounds in a few weeks (not going to be home for a while). yea i would like to hear those pacesetters...i should be getting those eventually. (are you with cats or without?)
Old 11-30-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

I ordered mine from AJ-USA...

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/jba/sta...3fe9fe989f5dc9

I believe it was around 300 bucks, give or take a little. Full 3" aluminized catback. The fit was PERFECT, very nicely built unit. It's got some type of coating over the pipe (silver), not sure what it is. Could be paint, but is holding up really well.

Quick Reply: New exhaust setup