Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New guy has some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
If I go with a cam like above do I have to "tune" the truck? and if so, what is involved in doing this?
Yea, you will defiantly want to retune your truck after a cam swap. One of our site sponsors (Nelson, Wheatley, or Blackbear) can flash a new tune on your truck's PCM. Check out their websites by clicking on the banners on the right side of the page.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! How much actual oil is being consumed?

I am thinking about maybe the LS327 camshaft or I see Scoggin Dickey has a custom ground camshaft called the HT1 for trucks. What do you guys think of these?
That's actually considered an "off the shelf" cam. Custom ground traditionally refers to a stick ground cutom to you for your specific vehicle and modifications.

Are you opposed to building a motor (junkyard 6.0) while you drive the 5.3 you have in now? Then just swap the 2. What's your budget and actual goal here?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just am looking to improve torque and have a nice running everyday truck.
I see this now, yeah one of those off the shelf cams and a small converter with a tune will get you what you want. Simple bolt-ons are a given.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Teching In

If I swap in a 6.0 for the 5.3 ; what else has to be changed? Computer, sensors, etc. I am not looking to make this a huge project, just repair and freshen up the old beast.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing should have to be changed. Accessories are a direct swap, they are essetially the same motor, one's has bigger cylinders.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Exact drop in reflash the pcm and enjoy. Or cam the 5.3 drive it till it pops then drop in a 6.0. It's got enough miles on it by now I would really worry about it using oil. What is it's oil consumption rate.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm still curious as to how much oil is being consumed also.

If I swap in a 6.0 for the 5.3 ; what else has to be changed? Computer, sensors, etc. I am not looking to make this a huge project, just repair and freshen up the old beast.
It's a direct swap man, no headaches. Post up any questions you have. Or search through the threads here, there's hundreds on here who've done it no prob in their own garage. Myself included.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Exact drop in reflash the pcm and enjoy.
To be real technical a PCM reflash isn't actually required... just preferred for optimum performance.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Teching In

I thought I would have to change computers or something. I will definetly look into the 6.0. How do I get the PCM reflashed? Can I grab a PCM from a junkyard truck that has a 6.0 in it and swap them? Any guidelines as to what year motor I need if my truck is a 2006? Do the PCM's change from year to year or other things under the hood?

About the oil consumption: around 30k miles I noticed my "check oil level" warning coming on about 1500 miles after an oil change. I topped it off with a quart and figured the last place that changed it had only put in 5 qts. 1500 miles later it came on again. Every since then, I have to put in a quart of oil about every 1500 miles or so. That is 2 quarts lost in a 3000 mile oil change. GM is wrong to tell me that this is normal. And when I had the dealer look into it under warranty, they did an oil change and marked the dipstick. I drive for about 2000 miles without adding any oil. They then checked it and compared the dipstick reading to some chart or something. They told me that it was within tolerances. My motor is allowed to use this much oil. I have boughten many new vehicles and I restore old cars also. I have never had one of them use this kind of oil!! This is crap. I have heard it may have something to do with the lack of an actual PCV valve. I have yet to install an oil seperater in the PCV line to see if that is it. From the amount of articles I found on this I thought I was not alone in this and someone may have found the problem by now.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I thought I would have to change computers or something. I will definetly look into the 6.0. How do I get the PCM reflashed? Can I grab a PCM from a junkyard truck that has a 6.0 in it and swap them? Any guidelines as to what year motor I need if my truck is a 2006? Do the PCM's change from year to year or other things under the hood?
No you would not have to swap PCMs. Your PCM will still function as normal. Grab any Gen III 01+ 6.0 and roll with it. Check out our site sponsors for tuners, live, dyo, and mail order all on here. Like I said a tune isn't mandatory but it's the best way to get the most out of your set-up, stock or not.

About the oil consumption: around 30k miles I noticed my "check oil level" warning coming on about 1500 miles after an oil change. I topped it off with a quart and figured the last place that changed it had only put in 5 qts. 1500 miles later it came on again. Every since then, I have to put in a quart of oil about every 1500 miles or so. That is 2 quarts lost in a 3000 mile oil change. GM is wrong to tell me that this is normal. And when I had the dealer look into it under warranty, they did an oil change and marked the dipstick. I drive for about 2000 miles without adding any oil. They then checked it and compared the dipstick reading to some chart or something. They told me that it was within tolerances. My motor is allowed to use this much oil. I have boughten many new vehicles and I restore old cars also. I have never had one of them use this kind of oil!! This is crap. I have heard it may have something to do with the lack of an actual PCV valve. I have yet to install an oil seperater in the PCV line to see if that is it. From the amount of articles I found on this I thought I was not alone in this and someone may have found the problem by now.
How much oil did you use for your oil changes?

Quick Reply: New guy has some questions...