Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

new lq9 in: wont start. wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new lq9 in: wont start. wont turn over

new pcm doesn't go into the security mode.

the old one does. go through it. everything by the books. still wont even give power to the starter. the starter isn't bolted up anymore (but still touching block and such).

what am I missing?
why cant I get power to this thing?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Security wont have anything to do with a no crank. It will crank but will not run. Check your connections. Pop out a volt meter, and poke at the starter signal wire. See if you get a signal whent he key is kicked to crank. Also see if you have 12 volts at the starter. My starter was dead when I got all my **** back in. Thing actually cranked when I put the neg cable back on the battery. I was freaking out. Thought I hooked stuff up wrong. When in fact it was just my starter was shot. Case was grounded out.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The problem is with the body control module if the starter does not get power. You can easiely bypass that though. All you need to do is just run a relay differently. The computer security only makes it so the pcm will allow for fuel if it is ok with the bcm. So dissabling vats in the pcm still leaves the bcm to need fixed.

I dont know the whole story on this, or why your bcm would not want to work, ect.. But, if it came from another car/truck, you can send it to me and i will "modify" it for what you need to do. Just cover return shipping is all i ask. Jes
Old 09-29-2005, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

interesting. i'll definately call you tomorrow

here is more info on it

So here is the deal. No power to starter at all.
check fuses. look good.
Try to starters, no dice
Take out the new 6.0 flashed pcm and swap in 4.8 pcm that was tuned a while ago for the 4.8

again, nothing.
only this time it goes into the securty mode. no problem, just follow the steps to get through that like when I first installed that pcm. nope. wont start. security light stays on. even keyless entry doesn't work unless the key in in the "on" position.

so no start. No crank. Nothing. The starter is just hanging at this point so its not a lack of power.

Even jump the truck and try. nothing.

Try going through security thing. nope.

Now it should start with the 4.8, just run like crap. but not even a hint of wanting to crack.

Now there was a rodent nest of sorts in the fuse/relay box. Check that out. All the taped wires are still taped and it all looks good. Starter is wired up correctly.

what gives?

thanks man!
Old 09-29-2005, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

wait4me:

what is bcm and vats and so forth? what do I need to do to correct this?
I'm going to call you as soon as I wake up tomorrow, but it is 4:30 am right now and i've been under this car since noon.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

ohh yeah, the bcm is stock
Old 09-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Need More N2O Mod

Did you pull out the tranny? if so are all the plugs back in? check all fuses.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled the trans out. there is one sensor hanging. I honestly has nowhere to go. It looks JUST like a coolant temp sensor.

all the other sensors are cool
Old 09-29-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds to me like you either have a broken wire at the neutral saftey switch or have a bad switch. you can buypass the starter by pulling the starter relay under the cover of the fuse center, turn the key to start and release, then jumping power from the lower left to the upper left terminal hole with a small 3" or so jumper wire. this will bypass the starter relay system and tell you if you have a pcm problem or not.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

please excuse my ignorance
but if this works, do i have a BCM problem?

How can I check to see if i have a bad N-safety switch.

All the wires looked just fine going in. The display shows the correct mode the trans is in (PRND321) and it shifts correctly.

and lastly, which orientation am I looking at to jump the power? I try to start the truck, fails to do so, jump the relay and then the starter wil crank? Or do i try and start it again.

Last edited by treyZ28; 09-29-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: new lq9 in: wont start. wont turn over