Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

new lq9 in: wont start. wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the N-safety was bad;
would I be able to pull the key out of the ignition? doesn't it only let you do that in P or N anyway?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
please excuse my ignorance
but if this works, do i have a BCM problem?

How can I check to see if i have a bad N-safety switch.

All the wires looked just fine going in. The display shows the correct mode the trans is in (PRND321) and it shifts correctly.

and lastly, which orientation am I looking at to jump the power? I try to start the truck, fails to do so, jump the relay and then the starter wil crank? Or do i try and start it again.

shifts correctly??? i thought it doesn't run???
Old 09-29-2005, 02:05 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your grounds too. I put a LQ4 in mine last night, and lost all power after a turn of the key. The culprit was a bad ground (aluminum heads dont make a good ground )
Old 09-29-2005, 02:14 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
if the N-safety was bad;
would I be able to pull the key out of the ignition? doesn't it only let you do that in P or N anyway?
The neutral safety switch is an electronic device designed to prevent the vehicle from starting when in D or R, it is located on the transmission and may very well have a broken wire or loose connection since it was unplugged for transmission removal. You'd still be able to remove the key and turn the ign, but the vehicle will not start if it is faulty.

(I'm assuming when you say it shifts correctly you're referring to manually from P to R to N etc)
Old 09-29-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

i would look at the purple wire going to the switch at the trans. check to see if you have voltage there as you have the key in the crank position. make sure there isn't any cuts in that wire.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, by shifts correctly I mean i can manually move it in and out of gear.

The grounds *should* be good because I have power and sensors everywhere. I unplugged oil level sensor and it showed up in the DIC.

I have power to the starter, because I shocked myself today. It just wont turn over. but the wire was hot.

All the sensors are plugged into the trans very well. Of coarse that one hanging wire with no home. Im fairly confident it has nowhere to go on the trans at least. I have my old 4L60E and there were no empty sensor connections.

I got it towed to the dealership. for a flat $80, they will tell me what is wrong.
I'm honestly stumped.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zippy
sounds to me like you either have a broken wire at the neutral saftey switch or have a bad switch. you can buypass the starter by pulling the starter relay under the cover of the fuse center, turn the key to start and release, then jumping power from the lower left to the upper left terminal hole with a small 3" or so jumper wire. this will bypass the starter relay system and tell you if you have a pcm problem or not.
is this the gear indicator switch on the side of the tranny
the one with 2 plugs and 2 bolts

mine was a little crooked and was actually thinking it was in gear and wouldnt crank

did your dash say you was in park?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Need More N2O Mod

When I pulled my 6.0 i broke the neutral safety switch. I replaced it with a new one when i put in my 408. after I thought I was done i went to turn it over with the key and nothing. I could put it into any gear, turn the ingnition off and on, and remove the key. I checked everything I knew. the starter worked fine. I bypassed the neutral safety switch and jumped the truck over from under the hood and it ran fine. tranny was still messed up. I later found out that 1 wire had pulled out of the neutral safety switch and that was what was keeping me from starting it with a key.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

i'm a bit lost on the aluminum head thing though. the heads should be a decent ground???
Old 09-30-2005, 07:22 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
i'm a bit lost on the aluminum head thing though. the heads should be a decent ground???

Thats what I thought, but I lost all power, moved the ground to the block ,and it worked fine.
I drove it around a little, then developed the same no start problem. Check the 40A fuse for the ignition. I racked my brain trying more detailed stuff to find a blown fuse

Quick Reply: new lq9 in: wont start. wont turn over