Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

new motor over heating

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
new motor, not rebuilt, i was sure to put the gaskets the correct way

removed the t-stat, and it's still doing the same thing

I can start it up, run it for 2 min, then it starts to over head, . . . I mean the needle MOVES . . . If I rev it up, to cools off, but the second that I let off, it's back to over heating
seems like the coolant may not be flowing through the passages unless the WP is working hard at pushing it through, is there any way some debris could have fallen in and caused a blockage?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

I had no problems when I did mine...Just jacked up the front of the truck as high as my 2 1/2 ton floor jack would go. That seems to really help get all of the air pockets out.

Dave
Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by silverbrick
seems like the coolant may not be flowing through the passages unless the WP is working hard at pushing it through, is there any way some debris could have fallen in and caused a blockage?
I'm working with TooTall on this so I thought I'd chime in here. There is no way that we got any debris in the system during the rebuild. We had a really clean setup. The coolant that has been drained has come out really clean. We also tried filling the upper hose as suggested. TooTall is on the way to the stealership for a new thermostat so that is our next hope. Many thanks to all who have taken the time to post suggestions here.

Yogi
Old 02-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I hope you put the belt back on because its not in the video, I am assuming you did right?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
I hope you put the belt back on because its not in the video, I am assuming you did right?
yeah that was for the first startups, checking for oil pressure

I now have $70 bucks worth of coolent on the driveway and a hot engine

replaced the t-stat, and it's still the same, the stat, never opens, and the top hoses are warm, nothing near being as hot as the heater core hose are
Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silverbrick
yep, I never covered the passages with anything the entire time, the WP stayed in the bed, that was in a garage. The engine was hot tanked.

I've tried flushing the radiator with the garden hose and there's great flow from either side. I haven't tried flushing the engine yet, I'm just waiting for it to cool off.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Two tricks I use-

Fish a coat hanger from the t-housing to make sure it goes into the heads. (I've installed the gaskets backward before-no more beer with engine work.)

Drill an eighth inch hole through to the side of the thermostat. It lets the air bleed out and doesn't affect the operation.

Last edited by AintNoHo; 02-27-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AintNoHo
Drill an eight inch hole through to the side of the thermostat. It lets the air bleed out and doesn't affect the operation.
are you serious?

I'm giving up for the night, I'm going to try a new water pump tomorrow. I doubt that it's the problem. The entire setup was working great with the 4.8, and had never gotten close to being considered "hot." It's always been pinned at 200
Old 02-27-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stall speed
When it cools down remove the top radiator hose from radiator and fill thru top hose.This is the highest point on engine and will get 99 percent of the air out from the start.

listen to this man he knows what he is ta;lking about, i have to do this everytime i replace a water pump!!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Grumpy4.8
listen to this man he knows what he is ta;lking about, i have to do this everytime i replace a water pump!!!!
We tried filling the top hose but it didn't help. Also tried "pumping" the top and bottom hoses by hand to get any air out - still no luck.

This is weird! After running the motor for about 2 minutes the temp climbs to about 230*. At that point, the engine and the heater hoses are hot but the radiator and radiator hoses are just lukewarm. Kinda like the thermostat isn't opening - but it is a brand new Chevy T-Stat. We flushed the radiator and the engine with a garden hose and both had good flow. Gonna try a new water pump next.

Quick Reply: new motor over heating