Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

new oil pump in, but still have ticking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new oil pump in, but still have ticking sound?

well i got the new oil pump in and cranked it and it has oil pressure now! but it still has a slight ticking sound. this sound comes and goes though. like yesterday morning it was fine, but on my way home from work it started doing it again. it sounds like a lifter but im not positive. does anyone know why it will come and go like that, i thought if it was bad then it would tick all the time?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

I seem to remember similiar sounds when I swapped oil pumps and tore the O ring accidently. Replaced the O ring and never heard it again. Are you sure the O ring was seated properly?? You could have a bad lifter being as you had a time with the motor running and 0 oil pressure. Check the O ring first though
Old 05-23-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

well i have plenty of oil pressure so i think the o ring is fine. and i really dont want to take that pump back off. but its weird the sound comes and goes, like today i havent really heard it. i dont know.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have thought an exhaust leak first, unless you changed the oil pump and then the tick started. Not sure on your problem history. L/T headers alone can cause sounds that can be mistaken for a tick sound. Have you checked the seal on them lately? That sound will come and go depending on where and how bad. You have a lot of pieces and potential leaks that can happen with your exhaust system (cutouts, x-pipe, etc..).

One thing I always recommend to people putting on the pump is to insert the pickup tube and bolt the tube in place first, then bolt the pump to the block. Doing it in reverse order there is way too much stress on the tube and it doesn't give you any real confidence that you have not pinched the o-ring. Moot point for you.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What color was the o-ring you put on?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

blue. it was kinda loose. the one that came off fit real snug. but i have plenty of oil pressure so i dont think its hurt.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think there was a recent post regarding using the blue one instead of the red(snug) ring. The guy had a ticking sound when he used the blue one instead of the red one.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=361346
Old 05-30-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

well i pulled the oil pump this weekend and put the red o ring on to see if that would fix it and.... it did!! i couldn't believe it. but there is no more ticking. thanks a lot for you guys help.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome!! Did your oil pressure change any with the new o ring?

Quick Reply: new oil pump in, but still have ticking sound?