Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New Silverado Ss 2wd Fast Truck Gotta See This!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Shouldnt the RPO read M32,for a 4l65E ?
Old 04-08-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not an SS and it does have a 4L65e. It's basically the same as an SS, but w/o the AWD.That's the info I got from a local dealer. Oh yea, it's still an EXT CAB. I was telling him how any saales GM is loosing by not building a "super truck" and he agreed. He said that the tranny's and rear ends are to weak to handle the power. That's one of the first correct "no snow blown up your ***" statements from a car salesman that I have ever heard.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg, does it look like an SS, or a regular Silverado? What wheels?

4L60e 4L65e transmission!

Those trannys are the only reason I'm hesitant to get into another 1/2-ton
Old 04-08-2004, 09:45 AM
12 Second Truck Club

The only flaw I see with them not making it in a Reg Cab version is that there will be LESS drivetrain breakage due to less weight so there is less load on the trans and rear. Now and AWD 6.0L 4L65E Reg Cab truck would be sick!
Old 04-08-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's a Limited Edition power package.
Disclaimer: My info is 1 month old, but I did see the factory sales school info on it that's not released to the public.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Greg, does it look like an SS, or a regular Silverado? What wheels?

4L60e 4L65e transmission!

Those trannys are the only reason I'm hesitant to get into another 1/2-ton

Looks like an SS w/o the badging, but same wheels.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll see if I can get a little more updated info on the tranny.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

RPO: B4V

Texas Edition truck...

I looked on the SS forum and found some information, some of it is conflicting so it is hard to tell what it will turn out to be. Some say it's just a single cab SS as far as looks, others have it as a GMC. The website had a scanned page that showed what basically looked like HD to me. I'll get back to the site a post some info from it, but keep in mind many things I have seen on the net about this truck offer some conflicting information depending on where you go or who you ask.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

"Hi all, it's been a while since I been in here and posted so I just wanted to say hello and see how things are going. I walk by all the brand new SS's built and admire them each and every time I go to work. Yesterday the plant built two pilot trucks reffered to as "Texas Trucks". I havn't a clue why they named them that. Where is Tahoe? I thought he would have mentioned them. Anyways about these trucks.

Gm will soon offer a limited number of a 2004 C-Model 2WD trucks built with a K-Model torsion bar suspension. The coil spring suspension that is normally used on the 2-wheel drive vehicles has been replaced by a torsion bar suspension thus giving way to a unique frame that is similar to the K-model 4-wheel drive. It has a High Performance Package offering the same 345 hp 6.0 litre engine as the Silverado SS, but in a 2-wheel drive form.

Highlites:

20” Chrome 5-spoke wheels (not the same as on the Silverado SS)
20” Tires (P275/55R20)
LQ9 Vortec “High Ouput 345 hp V8
M32 4-speed HD Automatic Transmission
Unique “Vortec High Output” Badging
C-Model 2WD built with a K-Model Torsion Bar Suspension

Also, there will be another limited edition comming soon with a new appearance package entitled the “Spring Special” as well. This will be a 2-wheel drive, extended cab with 20- inch wheels and tires. Unlike the Texas Truck, the powertrain will be the existing engine (LM7) and transmission (M30). All Spring Special trucks will be painted Indigo Blue Metallic (39U) - a colour that had been previously cancelled."

from another site.....
Old 04-08-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

more info, that is a little different....

"CHEVROLET SILVERADO REGULAR CAB SS: MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE, MINIMAL FRILLS

Manual steering, a simple bench seat and even rubber floor mats. They're all part of the minimalist approach to outfitting the Silverado Regular Cab SS concept vehicle - a slimmed-down pickup with a 395-horsepower 6.0-liter V-8 and six-speed manual transmission, designed to haul more than lumber back from the home improvement store.

Silverado Regular Cab SS joins concept versions of the TrailBlazer SS and Tahoe SS, along with production versions of Silverado Extended Cab SS and SSR roadster, at the 2002 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas to showcase interpretations of the new family of Chevrolet SS performance vehicles.

"If you look back at traditional hot rods and the heyday of the muscle car, serious enthusiasts always chose a vehicle with the fewest 'extras'," said Chevrolet General Manager Kurt Ritter. "Items like air conditioning and power accessories not only cost more, but added performance-robbing weight to the vehicle. In the '60s, it was common for a buyer to order a new Chevy SS model without a radio and, in some cases, a heater - just to gain a performance advantage."

The Silverado Regular Cab SS does have a radio and a heater, but puts a contemporary twist on the stripped-down muscle car theme. The engineering team responsible for the vehicle selected a Silverado Regular Cab because it is the lightest full-size pickup in Chevrolet's lineup (the Silverado Regular Cab SS weighs 4,190 pounds), and added only the necessary body enhancements to identify it as part of the Chevy SS family. Exterior appearance is based on the Silverado Extended Cab SS production model, including the new styling found on all 2003 Silverado light-duty models.

Under the Silverado Regular Cab SS's hood is another twist on tradition. Rather than a big-block engine and a four-barrel carburetor, it's a state-of-the-art, sequential port-fuel injected 6.0-liter small block V-8. The engine block is cast iron with a balanced rotating assembly. The cylinder heads are specially modified versions of aluminum Corvette LS6 units. They've been reworked to provide more airflow, and the volume of the combustion chambers was reduced to raise the engine's compression ratio to 10.5:1. The engine also employs a special high-lift roller camshaft, as well as a custom oil pan that features an elongated sump and a Corvette LS1 oil deflector. Horsepower is 395 at 5500 rpm, and torque is 409 lbs.-ft. at 4500 rpm.

"Bring more air in and push more air out of the engine, and you'll make more horsepower," said Ritter. "That's what the engineers did with this engine. It's tried and true hot-rod methodology in a thoroughly modern application."

Inside, the Silverado Regular Cab SS is all business. The basic graphite cloth bench seat offers unfettered access to a custom shift handle that's topped with a traditional Hurst shift ****. It stirs the gears of a T-56 six-speed manual transmission. White-faced gauges with the "SS" logo are the only other interior clue that this is anything but a workaday Silverado.

A proper performance stance and sports car-like handling were achieved with Eibach lowering springs and a solid 33 mm front stabilizer bar from Hotchkis Performance and Bilstein shocks. The springs and shocks work harmoniously to provide a firm, but compliant ride. At the rear, engineers swapped in the five-link suspension from a Tahoe, which required cutting the Silverado's production rear frame and welding in the Tahoe's rear frame section. The five-link design, which has two upper control arms, two lower control arms and a track bar, provides greater overall agility, as well as better control of side-to-side movement of the rear axle. The rear axle of the Silverado Regular Cab SS has a limited slip differential and a 3.73 gear ratio.

Although a concept vehicle, the Silverado Regular Cab SS provides a unique interpretation of the new family of Chevy SS production vehicles. The 2003 Silverado Extended Cab SS is the first production vehicle. Chevrolet will announce additional SS production models in the coming months and model years.

CHEVROLET SILVERADO REGULAR CAB SS VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS:

6.0-liter small block V8 (iron block with aluminum cylinder heads)

Special high-lift roller camshaft

Special Corvette LS6 cylinder heads revised for greater flow

Combustion chamber volume reduced from 64.6 cc to 58.5 cc

Custom exhaust headers

10.5:1 compression ratio
Cast aluminum oil pan with elongated sump and Corvette oil deflector

Delphi engine management

K&N air filter

395 horsepower @ 5500 rpm

409 lbs.-ft. of torque @ 4500 rpm

T-56 six-speed manual transmission

Centerforce clutch

Manual steering

Dual catalytic converters

Fabricated 2.5-inch-diameter exhaust system

Edelbrock RPM mufflers

Brushed aluminum rectangular tailpipes

Limited slip differential with 3.73 gears

Five-link rear suspension from Tahoe

Bilstein shock absorbers

Eibach springs (1.5-inch lower in front, 2.25-inch lower in rear)

Hotchkis Performance front stabilizer bar (33 mm solid)

20 x 8.5-inch wheels

Goodyear Eagle LS 295/55/20 tires

12-inch brake rotors (dual piston calipers in front, single piston calipers in rear)

Silverado SS fascias and rocker extensions

Graphite cloth bench seat

White-faced instruments with "SS" logo

Custom shift handle with Hurst ball shift ****"

Quick Reply: New Silverado Ss 2wd Fast Truck Gotta See This!!!