Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New truck with weird humming, high pitch noise...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New truck with weird humming, high pitch noise...

The actual temperature in Dallas is 26 degrees this morning. On cold mornings, when I'm first starting off just pulling out of my driveway and coasting up to a light, I have a humming howling noise. It seems rpm dependent, but the car seems to have to be moving too. I even popped it in neutral and at around 1300-1500rpm, it makes a humming, high pitch whine type of noise.

After driving around for a minute or two, the sound goes away.

Does anyone else have this noise on cold mornings? Is it the fan clutch, transmission???
Old 01-27-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had that same problem on my last truck along time ago. I never had any problems with the trasmission though. I believe the tranny fluid and everything is just cold. that is why it goes away once it starts heating up. Not positive on this but that what I think.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

cstchevy,

Thanks for the reassurance. I don't believe it's the transmission either, or if it is, it will not cause any long-term reliability issues. I'm planning on keeping this baby for a long while, so I just get worried about strange noises.

Anyone else???
Old 01-27-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only high pitch humming I have heard come from my last three trucks was coming from the fuel pump. Does it on this one also, but it doesn't go away.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

My fan clutch used to do that when it was cold. The howling noise was the fan pulling air. It sounded like woooOOOOooo. That's funny, I don't have one any more but I can still remember that sound.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

grey silver,

Did the sound go away after it had warmed up a bit?
Old 01-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Teching In

I got an 04 EC also. I have that EXACT same noise. My sound is a low humming/vibration noise on the passenger side, around the floor board area. This only happens with low rpm (Idle and also with a bit of gas), but completely goes away while driving. But just about everytime I slow to a stop light, or accerlating I hear this sound. Happens in reverse too. I have looked at everything with my wife driving and me listening all hunkered down there and can't find the noise. I've taken apart where the in-cab filter is, trying to put my finger on it, nothing. I've looked all underneath it, nothing. Any help would be apprecaited.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah it would quit after a mile or 2. While driving I could hear it fade away. That's the clutch releasing. It would do it in the summer time too when the truck got good and warm. That's how it's supposed to work.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Teching In

But even after, lets say a 2 hour drive, when I come to a stop again, the noise is back. Is that the can clutch?. What can I do to stop it? Electric Fans?
Old 01-27-2004, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ActionJackson
But even after, lets say a 2 hour drive, when I come to a stop again, the noise is back. Is that the can clutch?. What can I do to stop it? Electric Fans?
Sounds like you've got a different problem. It's an '04 take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: New truck with weird humming, high pitch noise...