Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New truck, Whipplecharged, help me get it running right

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New truck, Whipplecharged, help me get it running right

Well guys I picked up a 99 1500 Sierra last week. It's kinda a bastard of a truck as it has a 2500 Chevy frame underneath it, but should work well for pulling my Trans Am around. Regardless, the truck has a Whipplecharged 6.0 and is not running like it should.

From my limited amount of research, I think I've pinpointed the problem. It seems that the secondary injectors provided are not kicking in, causing a lean condition, causing the bypass valve to open which is only allowing the 4-5 psi I am seeing. From what I have seen on here, the secondary injectors provided with the kit are not too popular on here, and I'm not particularly fond of the idea either, so I've been looking into injectors.

What injectors would you guys reccommend, 42s or 60s? How much boost should this blower be making? I assume 7-8 psi, but that's just an assumption. How much boost can a 6.0 take? I'd like to pulley down to about 10 psi, but can't find anyone that sells pulleys for these things.

Also, does anyone have any reccommendations on rebuild for the Whipple blowers? I've talked to the High Speed Lab, and they seem pretty good, but I'd like to know if any other options are out there.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be a good idea to get it tuned so you wouldn't need to use their computer junk.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep that's the plan. Get rid of all their junk, put some good injectors and a good fuel pump in it, rebuild the blower and another couple bolt-ons.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At 10 psi, the 42# injectors should work just fine. If you want some room to grow, the 60# injectors might be better. I agree with ditching the Whipple electronics. You might look into HPTuners or EFILive, either one will really help you with diagnosing troubles in addition to adjusting your tune.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few very knowledgeable Whipple guys here. The 42lbers are good to ~500hp. 60's require adapters and rail spacers, not a big deal really. You Whip isn't inter-cooled I assume? PM Whippled2dr.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

You need to know the pulley size to know the boost. Chances are it is a stock pulley which is good for 5psi. From my experience when I completely removed the Whipple and sold it. My truck ran better and faster. Whipples produce a ton of heat. They just are not worth it. You want a real supercharger buy a magnacharger. Another option is to add some form of chemical intercooling. Alky control kit or a small nitrous shot. I do recommend taking the whipple completely off the truck and see how it drives. It might surprise you.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

My blower is not intercooled. I haven't seen a ton a positive feedback on this blower but it is what on the truck and it is what I'm going to work with. Buying a completely different kit is just too much money for a daily driver/tow pig. I'd like to possibly use some meth injection in the future. I just feel that if I get rid of the Whippletronics, get a good fuel system to accompany the blower, and get it tuned right, it will run just fine. I'll shoot Whippled2dr a pm today.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:14 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Buying a completely different kit is just too much money for a daily driver/tow pig. I'd like to possibly use some meth injection in the future. I just feel that if I get rid of the Whippletronics, get a good fuel system to accompany the blower, and get it tuned right, it will run just fine. I'll shoot Whippled2dr a pm today.
I agree. A set of 42lb injectors, a meth kit and a good tune will make a difference.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

I would like to see someone use the Whipple computer and injectors to spray methanol with. Of course, after you add the 42s and get a tune. It would involve adding a pump, a regulator, a tank, and re-piping the auxiliary injectors. Also you would have to remove the wire from the bypass solenoid so that the computer can't bypass the blower. Either way you go, you will have to do that anyway.
Mine made 6 psi as set up from Whipple when I had a stock 6 liter..
Old 09-15-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nelson makes a kit.
http://www.nelsonperformance.com/

down on left side of home page

Quick Reply: New truck, Whipplecharged, help me get it running right