Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Newbie Needs Direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep it civil I am just trying to learn

ok as for f8L yea being an *** is probably what could best describe you. Granted you are right about my nitrous abbreviation and for that I apologize I was just to lazy to type the right word. If you spent half as much time researching stock horsepower outputs on comparable cube GM and Ford motors you might rethink your conclusion. I am not trying to waste anyones time. I am legitimately interested in making my truck perform to the best of its tiny little 5.3 abilities. Yall are all right. Swapping to a 6.0 is certainly going to be more horsepower no doubt about it. I have driven one in a 3/4 ton 4x4 and I am pretty sure that it was faster than my half ton with the 5.3. But if you recall in my first entry I am not going to do a swap. Thats not what interests me. I want to see what I can do with the noisy cricket under my hood now. Maybe later I will but for right now I am sticking with what I have. I am not trying to build a ball out dragstar or I would start with sawing off body pannels rather than worrying about the engine right now. I just want a nice performing truck. So to all of you tactful individuals who do offer your help thank you sincerely. Some of you guys have made some posts that have already started to steer me in a different direction than I originally intended.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

F8L is a very cool guy and has alot of useful info. I think you are taking things the wrong way and getting off to a bad start being as this is your third post.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Greentahoe, It's ok mate. I thank you for your support as always bro

My post did come across like a jerk. I'll admit that. Something in the way YOUR post came across to me inspired it. Not sure what it was but as many boards as I frequent I see tons of posts like this where someone is asking long winded questions on how they should set up their car/truck when it is very obvious they cannot afford all the stuff they are talking about and therefore waste to time of those who reply to them. It's a pet peeve I guess. *shrug*

Sorry I took it out on you if you are not one of these guys.

The advice they have given you is correct though. All that stuff you listed wont amount to much in the speed department. If you are set on sticking with the 5.3L then the basic advice of a homemade, intake, converter, cam, and headers is the best route unless you can afford to do the 6.0L swap. That's the best mod IMO.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

As fro the research of similar cubes motors putting out similar power. Show me where they vary considerably.

Stock F-150 5.4L 330ci = 300HP, 365TQ

Stock GMC Sierra 5.3L 326.5ci = 295HP, 330TQ

Stock Dodge Ram1500 4.7L = 235HP, 295TQ
5.7L = 345HP, 375TQ Hemi

Wanna start comparing built chevy 350s with built Ford 351s too ? LOL

I've raced with Fords and GMs. A motor is a motor for the most part. Its what kind of aftermarket following that camp has which will make it or break it.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

If you want to stick with the 5.3, your gonna have a hard time getting it to run with a lightning without some sort of power adder.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Are there many options in the realm of cams, stroker assemblies, or likewise for the 5.3? Are LS1 parts compatible? I realize I don't know everything about these engines guys and if I come across as a dumbass sometimes thats probably a result of my ignorance and I apologize for getting off on the wrong foot with some of you guys. Fact of the matter is I just sold my portion of a crotch rocket customization shop here in my hometown and I have some money to burn that I would like to put into my truck. I just want to make sure I can get it done right from the start. I work 2 jobs and bust my *** for what I have and I am sure you do get alot of posters on here who are just spouting off so I guess the proof will be in the pudding. All I know is I am willing to learn and able to conquer some mechanical challeges(not to say all mechanical challenges) I appreciate everyones help For the most part everyone seems to be eager to give their opinions which is really what I am looking for.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Launching!

The first thing someone should have asked is what kind of budget are you on? Until we know that the rest is just talk.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Well, are are not super confronatational and you have passed my troll test so far. LOL

Whta's your budget like stated above?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Teching In

I have about 3000 I can spend right now. After that its going to be kinda like 600 or so every 5 weeks maybe if I can swing some budgetary issues around. <----still a blue collar worker. Fortunately my priority right now is to start not loosing some of the light to light battles I find myself in so I will sacrifice to get that job done. I am used to driving good old sports coupes like my old late model camaro that was a good 14 and a half quarter miler out of the box pretty much so if I can get my truck to start feeling more like that I will be happy.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Teching In

ps whats the troll test

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Direction