Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Newbie Needs Direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of kids come in here and post dumb questions or post other stupid comments and bascially annoy everyone with their anitcs. That's a Troll. We had a couple of them form Maine recently so I have fun trying to weed them out. Trolls suck. LOL
Old 08-14-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

If I were you, I'd spend some time with this stuff. Read the posts and have some fun with your selections.

But, might as well start looking into bolt ons; headers, muffler(s) and exhaust routing/size, cold air intake,....and so on

you could also start reading about tuning. If you have someone to do your tuning thats great and probably the best way to go. Otherwise I'd suggest doing your own and spend some time learning how to do it.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Ahhh I see I can understand I have been in forums that were ridden with those before.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Do yourself a favor and do alot of searching. Check out some of the setups others have tried and take a look at their results. Also be prepared for some probs, they always come up. The sum of the parts will be more important than something here and there. Come up with a definate plan. Stick to headers, cam, converter, tuning, posi, and maybe heads. You are going to need a stroker, N20, or a blower to hang with Lightnings though. Many of us still cant .
Old 08-14-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

these guys are very right, the best way to know what to run is to see what the other guys are using that are actually going fast with.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am suprised you are looking at all of that, and not really messing with the engine internals! Hellllooooo, thats where the power is made, all the bolt ons just HELP it make that power.

I'ld say do this with your $3000:
A good cam (my 01 ls6 cam was great bang for low buck imo) ~ $300 for aftermarket cam
LT headers ~ $500
Off-road Y-pipe with cutouts and a muffler ~ $200
K&N FIPK ~ $200 @ autozone
Electric Fans ~ $300
Good Aftermarket, higher compression 5.3L heads: $1500
Tune: $300

Total:
$3300

Now, take another $450 and get a converter

Then I think about $900 for a big stroker kit (I'm guessing on the price here)

New Total:
$4650

I'ld say that setup would smoke lightnings.

I wouldn't waste money on things like an electric water pump and Granny MAF.

Thats what I'ld do if I could burn about 4500 bucks.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Silverchado, you ain't the newest newbie here. This thread got my attention and was entertaining and informing. Now, to hopefully answer one of your questions:

The Generation III (or GenIII) small blocks are the LS1, LS6 and the three truck motors (4.8, 5.3 and 6.0) save for the big block 8.1L. The LS1's and 6's are aluminum blocks while the truck motors have iron blocks. All have aluminum heads. To get the different displacements there are various bore and stroke combinations. The heads, intake and camshafts are interchangable.

As for performance upgrades, I'm just gonna sit back and listen for a while. Nothing beats real-world experience from other posters. Enjoy!
Old 08-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Wow thank buck that cleared up that question. _ so what your saying is that the aftermarket intakes for the LS1 LS6 engines will bolt right up?
Old 08-15-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Silverchado
Wow thank buck that cleared up that question. _ so what your saying is that the aftermarket intakes for the LS1 LS6 engines will bolt right up?
Your intake will not be a restriction until you start getting some pretty good numbers out of that thing. Heads and cam should be much higher up on your to do list. Swapping intakes at this point woul probably net you next to nothing.
With a little bit of that money I would get a cam (check the classifieds, look for a 212/218), Tune, stall(again check the classifieds), and headers. That will be a HUGE difference.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:20 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Here is what those basic bolt-on stuff like the guys are taslking about will get you in a 4x4. Make it a standard cab, 2wd and expect over half a second better.

http://my.starstream.net/f8lpony/F8L...14.29_0001.wmv

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Direction