Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Nitrous advise...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous advise...

I gotta '01 5.3 RCSB Sierra with dual flows,no cats, HPP3, K&N FIPK, and a 160* T-stat. I also have 3 friends w/ lightnings, which means they are killin me whenever they want to...

I plan on going FI soon enough but I'm tired of bein so slow, and I figure I might as well give in and go the cheap way out w/ some nitrous...

I figure once I hit 2nd gear I can flip my switch and start pullin. What I need to know is how much should I get?? Out of all 3 friends, the fastest lightning is a 13.10 in the 1/4, and I wanna be able to pull him with a little room to breathe...

How big of a shot should I do??? 50 HP, 100, 150??? Also what is safe and what is risky??? I dont wanna go blowin somethin up...

Note: when I install this nitrous setup I will also be installing an '02 ZO6 cam in the truck... Will I need some special tuning or will I be ok w/ my HPP3???
Old 07-14-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

150 shot but I wouldn't go any bigger.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Get
Zex and spray out of the hole!!!!

MSD makes a Cut off that works wonders make it cut out the N2O at 5800 RPM and u have a monster on your hands.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01Sierra
I gotta '01 5.3 RCSB Sierra with dual flows,no cats, HPP3, K&N FIPK, and a 160* T-stat. I also have 3 friends w/ lightnings, which means they are killin me whenever they want to...

I plan on going FI soon enough but I'm tired of bein so slow, and I figure I might as well give in and go the cheap way out w/ some nitrous...

I figure once I hit 2nd gear I can flip my switch and start pullin. What I need to know is how much should I get?? Out of all 3 friends, the fastest lightning is a 13.10 in the 1/4, and I wanna be able to pull him with a little room to breathe...

How big of a shot should I do??? 50 HP, 100, 150??? Also what is safe and what is risky??? I dont wanna go blowin somethin up...

Note: when I install this nitrous setup I will also be installing an '02 ZO6 cam in the truck... Will I need some special tuning or will I be ok w/ my HPP3???
what do you run in the 1/4 mile now?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Looney102
Get
Zex and spray out of the hole!!!!

MSD makes a Cut off that works wonders make it cut out the N2O at 5800 RPM and u have a monster on your hands.

and watch yourself put too much wear and tear on your stock parts by spraying out of the hole...

Just a personal opinion, but I don't care much for the ZEX products... There are kits out there for the LS1 style engines though, and while I don't know if ZEX has a kit for them, they do seam to specialize mainly in Honda and

Whatever floats your boat

Old 07-14-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Something I just noticed...

You won't be running the HPP3 tune when you spray. The shift points and everything is fine, but avoid the octane tuning. It adjust your timing and if you use it while spraying you have a good chance of causing some damage.

I never got a solid run at the track when i had my kit, but with roughly a 150shot, asp pulleys, K&N FIPK, and electric fans, my truck would run in the low 13's if not very high twelves without a problem. However, as I said I have no "official" timeslip to show you, but I don't think you'll have an issue with most of your friends if you run a 150 wet shot on your setup. Just be aware that sometimes things happen and you may end up burning up the transmition and so on. Not spraying out of the hole, and spraying after 3000 rpm will do a good deal to extend the life of your transmition and motor since the loads on everything are much lower.

I never sprayed out of the hole, but I didn several times in first gear without any issues, but I disliked doing it because the truck is my daily driver.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

To hang with an L running 13.1 youre going to need a good shot (150)and maybe a few other mods. I would stay away from the Z06 cams, there are others that would be better suited. You might also want to look into a converter.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

TNT told me that there best kits are for LS1's and I just bought one! The LS1 kit uses the power ring to spray n20 & fuel using two nozzles(4 jets) which I thought was really cool! As far as doing a cam I would for sure get a custom tune or Edit!
Old 07-14-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=BradWlv]Something I just noticed...

You won't be running the HPP3 tune when you spray. The shift points and everything is fine, but avoid the octane tuning. It adjust your timing and if you use it while spraying you have a good chance of causing some damage.

[QUOTE]

So how wold I go about doing that?? just turning off the power tuning and adjusting everything else when I wanna use it??

I also agree with you about not using it out of the whole. It's hard enough to get traction as it is, and I already shift into 2nd at 6000 rpms... doing that w/nitrous will hurt something I'm sure. I figure I have a strong enough 1st gear w/ my 3:73's to wait until 2nd gear to flip it.

Which kitdo you guys recommend?? NOS, NX, others??? I gather that a 150 shot would be my best bet but should I go w/ a wet or dry shot??
Old 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BradWlv
Something I just noticed...

I never got a solid run at the track when i had my kit, but with roughly a 150shot, asp pulleys, K&N FIPK, and electric fans, my truck would run in the low 13's if not very high twelves without a problem. However, as I said I have no "official" timeslip to show you, but I don't think you'll have an issue with most of your friends if you run a 150 wet shot on your setup. Just be aware that sometimes things happen and you may end up burning up the transmition and so on. Not spraying out of the hole, and spraying after 3000 rpm will do a good deal to extend the life of your transmition and motor since the loads on everything are much lower.

I never sprayed out of the hole, but I didn several times in first gear without any issues, but I disliked doing it because the truck is my daily driver.
So how would I go about doing that, just skip the power tuning and adjusting everything else when I wanna use it??

I do agree with you on not using it off of the line. It's hard enough to get traction as it is and I already shift into 2nd @ 6000 rpm's and I'm sure that will hurt something eventually.

Which kit do you guys recommend?? NOS, NX, others?? I gather that a 150 shot will do what I want, but should I do a wet or dry shot??

Oh yea, I'm doin a 15.00 in the 1/4 with a 2.5 60'... I told ya I cant get traction off the line

Quick Reply: Nitrous advise...